Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zzq10 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Human DNA
    Is there a difference between the DNA of early man and modern man ?
    NavyBlue1984 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Yes. This is because DNA is what controls how we look, or our traits, either physical or genetic. If we had the same DNA as the cave men, we'd all look like cave men. Instead we have evolved in our appearance and genetics, therefore our DNA is different from back in prehistoric times.

Nov 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Comment on NavyBlue1984's post
    He answer was informative and stated clearly. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Nov 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Comment on Chance13's post
    This answer was clear and agreed with NavyBlue 1984.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 03:16 PM
    There are differences between your DNA and mine. The only people who can claim to have the same DNA are identicle twins, and even then they can pick up mutations in their germ cells as they age.

What do you mean by early man exactly? Obviously the longer ago in time the more difference in genetic there will be between people today and their ancestors. These genetic changes can be for large differences such as skin colour to sometimes unnoticed differences such as enzyme expression, which allow us to eat new foods.

These genetic changes have been caused by ranom mutations in gamete (sperm and egg) cells which have been passed down to the next generation. If they are not harmful or beneficial they may be kept and contribute towards a 'genetic drift' whereby the human genome (all of our genes together) gradually changes over time.
    Here are some good links which detail how our DNA history is studied
    Harvard Gazette: Wakeley examines ancestral lines
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/07/science/07evolve.html
    Ancient yucca chaws yield ancient DNA

And what this information has reveiled
    Using DNA to Unravel Man's Ancient Origins

If you have trouble with any terminology in these websites I'll happily translate for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DNA testing [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know what can cause a paternity test to come out with a negative from chewing tobacco or brushing you teeth. :eek:

Storing Human DNA [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a simple and effective way of storing ones DNA for a thousand years? I define Simple as needing no power or maintenance of any kind. The DNA is obtained by Swabbing the inside of your mouth. Assume the storage location is a very cold and isolated place; such as Svalbard Island, where...

Dna molecule [ 4 Answers ]

Where is the Genetic code stored in the DNA molecule? And How is the genetic code store in the DNA molecule? Thank you

DNA Testing [ 1 Answers ]

My ex is listed as the father of my daughter on her birth cretificate... can I request a DNA test and if it is proven that she is not his can anything be donw to me cause she is not his?

Dna [ 1 Answers ]

Can DNA material be extracted from feces?

View more questions Search