Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaiNMeka23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
    What are DNC's generally used for?
    I basically just want to know what DNC's are generally used for. Like are there other things that it can be used for other then miscarrgies? So if anyone can answer that for me that would be great!;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
    First, you need to get you acronyms right. D & C = Dialation and curretage or Dilate and scrape
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Nov 12, 2007, 02:32 PM
    They can be used after birth if pieces of placenta are left behind. My sister had to go back a week after giving birth because there was a teenie tiny piece of placenta that was left, and you can bleed to death if all of it doesn't get removed. D & C has also been used as a nice way to say abort.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
    A D&C is often used for the following conditions:

Irregular bleeding: You may experience irregular bleeding from time to time, including spotting between periods. If the spotting develops into continuous midcycle bleeding, your health care provider may perform a D&C to investigate the cause of bleeding.

Too much bleeding: Bleeding with long, heavy periods, or bleeding after menopause, can signal a number of problems. These symptoms may not need immediate investigation. You may observe and record them. At some point, though, your doctor may look for a cause that is best detected with a hysteroscopy.

Fibroids and polyps: These conditions are very common. In fact, they are thought to occur in about 20% of all women. Fibroid tumors are noncancerous growths appearing in and on the uterus. Some even grow out from the uterine wall on a stalk. Fibroids can cause chronic pain and heavy bleeding. Polyps, like fibroids, are noncancerous growths and are a common cause of irregular bleeding. Polyps and fibroids can have symptoms that resemble other more serious causes of bleeding. Your doctor may still want to perform a hysteroscopy.

Endometrial cancer: Cancer is a scary word, especially when it is said about you. A D&C and hysteroscopy are often performed to make certain your symptoms are not caused by uterine cancer. It is, of course, important to detect cancer in its earliest, most curable stages.

Therapeutic D&C: A D&C is often planned as treatment when the source of the problem is already known. One situation is an incomplete miscarriage or even full-term delivery when, for some reason, the uterus has not pushed out all the fetal or placental tissue inside of it. If tissue is left behind, excess bleeding can result, perhaps even life–threatening bleeding. This is an important reason why your doctor will want to remove any remaining tissue with a D&C.

From here: Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

There's also a wiki article:
    Dilation and curettage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you think people are generally honest? [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering if people are generally honest when they are approached or confronted about issues. I find that people have a hard time giving feedback or when you ask questions in friendship they deny that they are just busy, etc. I feel it is the worst thing one can do to someone - to give false...

Which type of lawsuit settlement is generally better? [ 9 Answers ]

Arbitration, Bench or Jury award? In a case that has been to Arbitration (where the parties involved are not allowed to testify, the attorneys do all of the talking), and the Arbitrators have concluded that the party that brought on the lawsuit had no legal grounds and instead awarded the...

View more questions Search