Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlaurentjr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
    36" door in 2x4 brick wall
    What type of saw required to cut a hole on brick wall?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
    There are concrete saws that look like a chain saw with a 14" circular diamond blade.

They can be rented at tool rental places -- but I don't know how much they rent for...

They really make a mess with the concrete powder they throw off...

Also remember to wear safety protection, goggles,earplugs and dust mask...
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:15 AM
    rlaurentjr:::-You can get a special blade for the size skillsaw you have,(IF you have one ) it is a carbaremdon type blade, it's used for cutting concrete blocks, bricks . Take and layout the door, plumb up with a level (Perferably a 4ft. One, and across top, chalk lines on brick, top to bottom and across top as a guid to cut on ,make first cut about 1/4" to 1/2" deep. Make sure you cut to the right width and wide, don't cut it 36" wide, or 6'- 8" tall. You can get the blade at Lowe's ,home depot , lumber yard ,etc. just tell them what you are going to do with it, so they give you the right blade Good Day, Good luck (FLLOW) THE ANSWER ABOVE ABOUT Safety MEASURES ANSWERED ABOVE :::: F.B.E.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
    So you are installing a 36" doorway into a brick wall. You can't just cut a hole, you need to install a header to carry the weight above the hole, preferably a 4" angle iron. "2x4 brick wall " I am a bit confused by your brick description, how think is the wall and is it soild brick?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlaurentjr
    What type of saw required to cut a hole on brick wall?
    Sorry ( BI ) Iwas manley answering his question as asked(Quatoed ) Yes he will need a metal angle lintel above the door I just did'nt go that far , I figuered that he would be back on here asking more info. And we could lead him further on. Good DAy GOD Bless F.B.E.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 15, 2007, 04:21 AM
    You'll need to put the lintel. As for the type tool , it will be best to use the gas powered saw with the bigger blade, the skil saw just doesn't cut all that straight in my experience
    arm and Hammer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Cutting a hole in a brick wall can be dangerous! I say " when in doubt,hire it out". To professionals!
    That said, you can rent a masonry saw at the local rental for about $35. 1.Lay out the placement of the door on the bricks and snap chalk lines to indicate the opening. A 36"x80" door should have a "rough opening", (the total size of the opening), of about 41" x 81 1/2" but check with the vender from which you buy the door to be sure. "2. Drill a 1/4 hole using a masonry bit and a hammer drill, at all four corners of the intended opening. 3. Using the saw, cut about 1/2" deep on the inside following the chalk lines connecting the drilled holes. 4. Cut the same, about 1/2" deep, on the out side connecting the drilled holes. That leaves about 1" left to hold everything in place for now. 5. Cut andcarefully remove the row of brick above the intended door opening and install a metal lineal, cut new brick to fit the opening an install them on top of the lineal and let the mortar dry. With the lineal installed it should now be safe to remove the rest of the brick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing adhesive on brick wall [ 4 Answers ]

I had a volunteer mount a metal plaque on a brick wall in an outside courtyard a couple of days ago. I went and looked to be sure the work was done, and found that the plaque is where it should be on the brick wall, but there is a yellow contact adhesive dripping from the plaque down the brick...

Military brick wall [ 6 Answers ]

I need help... my husband's family asked me to search for the family of his father. The man was quite the storyteller and I have had quite a time trying to prove his stories as truth or fiction. I have hit a brick wall... My FIL served in the Army during WW2 and his records were allegedly lost...

Wiring in a brick wall? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be adding outlets to walls that are brick covered in plaster. I know that I can remove the plaster and "carve" into the brick to add the outlets. What do I use to cut into the brick? What kind of wire do I need to use in this wall so that it is safe to recover it with bonding agent...

Fake Brick on kitchen wall [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove fake brick off a wall, if we remove it will it take off the plaster? Maybe it would be better just to paint it?

View more questions Search