Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaege Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Permanent hair dye black- dye it back to light brown?
    Okay, I have naturally light/medium brown hair. I wanted to try going blonde, so I went and got some permanent blonde hair dye. I dyed it once and it was an awful reddish blonde color, and I could tell the light color wasn't helping compliment my face at all. So I returned the rest of the blonde hair dye packages in exchange for brown. My mother told me to use a dark brown color, and picked out the dreaded permanent "ASH BROWN". I now know why it's called ASH brown. Because it turned my hair to a dark black. And my hairstyle just does NOT look good with it. I suggested to my mom to go get a dark blonde color to bleach it back to my brown color, but she said it would turn out a gross purple-red if I did so. I asked if other lighter brown hair dyes would work, but she said they would not lighten it in the least.

Today is Sunday and I have school off tomorrow, but I have school on Tuesday. Is there a product in stores I could buy to fix this by Tuesday? Browsing forums it seems that "One 'n Only Color Fix" is the way to go to fix this. Is this product sold at Salon's or Wegman's or K-Mart even?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 12, 2007, 12:29 PM
    If you want to go from brown to blonde, you must first lighten the hair to a yellow stage and then deposit the desired color. When you apply a permanent blonde hair color over dark hair, it will result in a brassy red/orange shade. Also, some dark hair colors tend to grab onto color treated hair, making it appear even darker. In order to go back to light brown, you will need to pre-lighten your hair before apply your selcted color. This hair coloring process should be attempted only by professionals.
    aoifemchugh Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Use head 'n'shoulders shampoo... it won't remove the colour completely but it will lighten it so if u commit yourself and get it light enough then you can deposit a medium brown or a chestnut brown tint on top of it.

Buy 2 bottles of head 'n' shoulders(I think its called Prell in the US)its an anti dandruff shampoo.
    Wet your hair and apply a lot(a palmful) of the shampoo to your hair lather up and put a treatment bag (cling film if your stuck, seran wrap in the US?) wrap a towel around your head, leave for 60 minutes and rinse with really hot water(as hot as you can handle without hurting yourself). Repeat until your hair looks lighter or u run out of shampoo. :)

This works because head'n'shoulders is a hair colour nightmare(or dream in your case) it strips colour from the hair by shrinking the colour molecules which makes it easier for them to be washed form the hair shaft. After lightening the hair use a good conditioner to soften the hair.

Best of luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a medium brown permanent hair dye over adark brown permanent hair dye? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I really need some advice about 3 weeks ago I dyed my hair dark brown permanent, my hair colour is naturally dark brown but now my hair is black and really making me look very hard and pale. Am I able to buy a permanent medium brown hair dye to lighten it up? I have read your site and see...

Can I dye my black hair brown? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair black with permanent dye for about five years. The last time I dyed it was four months ago, and now I want to dye it dark brown. Can I just dye over it or do I have to get rid of the black first?

How to dye black hair brown [ 2 Answers ]

I have naturally brown hair. Last week I dyed my hair permanently using a shade called natural dark brown. The result was more like unnatural goth black. I hate it but it is permanent. Is there anything I can do to fix this that doesn't cost an absolute fortune or wreck my hair?

Ahh getting rid of jet black hair dye - going back brown! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I've got such a problem! I dyed my hair a few days ago and it went ginger, so I dyed over it dark brown but it went jet black, and so I dyed over it with brown hair dye and it didn't make any difference I have brown extensions and they don't match and I can't afford black ones which I don't...

How do I dye my jet black hair to a light brown color? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I dyed my hair dark brown but obviously it came out in this unnatural gothic black color. How do I color it back to something like ight or medium brown? Can I use semi permanent haircolor or something else? If so what color do you recommend I use? Thanks

View more questions Search