Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fushichouryuuko Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Running QBasic in Suse 10 (Linux)
    Background:
    I have this QBasic program, consisting of these 3 files (QBASIC.EXE, QBASIC.HLP, QBASIC.INI), and it’s currently running on Windows XP SP2 OS. I plan to switch an entire lab to SUSE 10 Linux OS. I have a beginning programming class (senior high) that’s learning this old language.

Problem:
    I need to be able to run QBasic smoothly on SUSE 10 and was wondering how I will go about this.

Conditions:
    I heard that you need to install some sort of shell extension to run Window programs in Linux, but I prefer not to do that if possible. If not, then I would like to know how to install this ‘shell’ that I know nothing about.
    Also, if anyone knows of a different program that uses the Same syntax as QBasic and runs on Linux, then by all means please bombard me with all of your knowledge!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2005, 02:21 PM
    I believe QBasic was created by Microsoft. So the chances or seeing QBasic on Linux are next to none. That said, I'm sure you could find a compiler that's very similar. I'm not familiar with Basic so I don't know how different the language is between flavour to flavour.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml

Nov 21, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Hm… That can’t be too good. (Blah, Microsoft…) I looked through the link you gave me and the page often mentions “interpreter.” Is that a compiler in itself? Or some sort of add-on in order for a programming language to run? (sorry if my terminology is off)
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2005, 02:09 AM
    That's cool. Basically there are two ways you can execute computer programs. It can either be compiled (changed into a format that a computer can understand easily then this compiled code is executed by another program) or interpreted (a program will read the code and decide what needs to be done at runtime).

For a better explanation - check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpr...28computing%29

And:
    http://www.pasteur.fr/formation/info...n/ch05s02.html

Also on a quick side note: Why not just set up dual booting on your PC. SuSE & Windows on the same PC. It's very easy to do.

Nov 24, 2005, 10:06 PM
    Ah, my understanding of programming tools has improved. Thanks for the info on interpreters. :D

Reason for not using dual-boot is because we’re trying to encourage students to be, at least, acquainted with Linux operating systems. I’ve noticed that certain companies are switching over from Windows to Linux. So, students thinking of working in the computer industry will be better prepared for the future. (Plus, there was an instructor at our school who got fed up with Windows when his Server suddenly crashed. :eek: It was a system error with Win. Ser. 2K3.)

I will continue to look for a Linux compatible programming language that can be used in this class. :o

By the way, does anyone know how to close down a thread? Also, what happens when I close it down? Will it eventually be removed from the forum? :confused:
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2005, 03:09 AM
    Does it have to be an old language? Why not introduce the students to Java? It's platform independent (will work on Windows, Linux, Macs etc.) and it's reasonably simple. Also there are two big languages/specifications out there at the moment in the industry - Java or .Net. Introducing them to Java will a lot more useful then QBASIC. Plus, I'm a Java programmer so I can answer questions on that easier than I can QBASIC :P

Also - well done for introducing people to Linux. It'll be useful to know the basics.

That said, I don't know how hard it will be for a beginner. I'll have a look around and see what'll be a good language to start with.

Nov 25, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Yes, it has to be QBasic because of the very fact that it’s a dead language. We want a language that’s really basic for intro students so they can get a feel for what programming is. If they like it, then they can take the next course learning Pascal. By the way, is there a Pascal compiler that’ll work in Linux? If students stick with the program, then they may take C++ or Java. This way, we eliminate any students that have no will to work. We teach Java, but only for motivated students.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2005, 05:16 AM
    Makes sense. I started on Pascal myself. Then after a year of that at A-Level I moved onto Delphi. Then at university I moved onto ADA for a year and then Java after that. But that's enough of my history ;)

I can't find anything that will help run QBasic on Linux easily. So if you really want to use QBasic, try it with Wine (comes with SuSE 10). Otherwise this compiler is said to be very similar to QBasic: wxBasic.

As for a Linux Pascal compiler - http://www.freepascal.org/ . That'll do the job.

Nov 26, 2005, 08:34 PM
    Thanks, I'll try these out and let you know how it goes. :D (I'm still pretty new to Linux myself, so this will take some time.) :p
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Well as always, if you get stuck - give us a shout, We have a few Linux experts here just itching to answer questions :D

Dec 1, 2005, 12:52 PM
    I went here http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/bleed.php to download WXBasic and downloaded the Linux tar file. Then I extracted it then went into the folder a clicked on the wxbasic icon, but it won't run. The error was "Initialization error Expected a file name" Was I suppose to specify something? This is on SUSE 10 Linux by the way.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2005, 01:58 AM
    I've give it a go on my version of SuSE 10 later. Will get back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Some issues with Suse 9.2 who can help ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Installed Suse 9.2 on my laptop ( Acer aspire 3000 AMD ) Everything goes well except for connecting to Internet. The system fails to connect to Internet with error : The DHCP is already running on eth0.

How to connect SUSE 9.2 to Win2003 ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Does anyone know how to configure suse 9.2 OS to connect to a windows 2003 AD ? And if possible , how to make suse sees the other computers in a win-xp workgroup computers ? Greetings :D

Linux [ 3 Answers ]

I am using VI editor at work to try to compile my programs for school in C. When I compile I get the file a.out. When I do this on the school's site I am able to just type a.out in the command line and it runs. They are using AIX (whatever that means). I cannot do that here. It keeps saying no such...

Linux [ 5 Answers ]

I have a saa7134 TV cards .my linux (kernal 2.6)not configure for this TV cards.pls help me

Linux to Mac [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get this Linux PC talking to my old Mac? I have Mandrake 9.2 and KDE desktop. The Mac is has a Power PC chip and is running Mac 7.6.1. I have a Belkin router 4 port router hard wired to both of them by ether net. The router feeds my cable modem to both. Since a driver for my HP...

View more questions Search