Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:21 PM
    How can I tell if my dog is pregnant?
    Hey everyone :)

As most of you know I adopted a dog from the shelter almost 4 weeks ago. Ava was found wandering the streets and was brought into the shelter and was at the shelter 5 days before we adopted her.

The shelter was not sure if she was spayed, so they scheduled her to be.

When I took her to the vet, the vet estimated her at about 2 years old. She said she didn't see any scar from a possible spaying but that from looking at Ava's vulva she thinks Ava was recently in season or was about to be. Well that was a few weeks ago, and Ava has not gone into season.

About a week ago, I mentioned to my husband we may need to get Ava a new kind of dog food because she seemed to be gaining weight. (As most of you know, I also have Lennox) I told my husband that when I feed the dogs in the morning Ava always finishes her whole bowl of food and water and then finishes what Lennox doesn't eat, so I was going to start taking up Lennox's left over food so she didn't eat it.

We took the dogs for a 3 hour walk yesterday and my husband commented on how Ava "walked funny" compared to Lennox.

Tonight we have noticed her nipples seem to be bigger than they were when we first brought her home, and you can most definitely tell her stomach is bigger.

I just had my husband get on the scale with her. She has gained 11 pounds since she was at the vet on October 25th!!

I am getting really concerned and wondering could she be pregnant?? :o I mean, if she was in season when she was wandering the streets... she would be about 4-5 weeks pregnant.

I am calling the vet tomorrow to see if I can get her in to get a test, but was wondering are there any other signs in which I would be able to tell if she were pregnant?:confused:
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:40 PM
    I think all those signs point to a pregnant dog.

Good that you're going to the vet though, I might not be right.

-waits for expert-

Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
    There is little untrained people can do. So go ahead with the vet appointment. In this case, likely you will go with what the vet can feel rather than ultra sound or X-rays. If she is pregnant, lay ahold of whatever books you can on whelping. Even if what your library has is a little old, they are better than nothing.

I am sorry somebody that gave a dog from the shelter a home has gotten so much more than she expected. We will work with you to get through problems caused by others.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:49 PM
    I have been "googling" other signs of pregnancy... and I am freaking because she has ALL of them!

They mentioned urinating more... which she has been doing, she had her FIRST accident in the house last week (urination).
    She is not active at all (doesn't play)... but I thought that was because she just came to from the shelter and needed to get adjusted, then I thought maybe it was because of her age... Lennox (8 months old) is crazy playful and always is trying to play with her, but she just lets him tug on her and does nothing but put a paw on his head once in awhile to push him off.
    She is SUPER protective of her toys, and often takes Lennox's toys away from him.

Oh wow... this is my first girl dog, and now to think she is pregnant... I will need all the help I can get from books and you all!!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I hate to mention this, but is she too far along to spay? I don't know what your thoughts are on aborting the litter, but it may still be possible if you want to discuss it with your vet.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    I hate to mention this, but is she too far along to spay? I don't know what your thoughts are on aborting the litter, but it may still be possible if you want to discuss it with your vet.
    Well I don't know for absolute sure if she is pregnant or not. But from the signs, I think she may be.
    If she is, I'm not sure how far along she would be. She was found wandering the streets on October 15th and I adopted her on the 19th. But I don't know how long she had been on the streets. I just know, at the shelter she was fit and didn't look overweight at all.
    Now in the past few weeks, I have notice a visual change in her weight and nipples.

I wouldn't want to abort the litter though :(

If she is pregnant, what I would most likely do is keep all the puppies until they were to the age to get spayed or neutered and do that myself before I adopt them out. My vet worked out a really nice payment plan when I had to move Lennox's neuter appt up because of bringing Ava home, plus in one week had to get them both shots, heartworm tests and meds, and meds to take care of Ava's kennel cough. So she would most likely help me out as far as taking care of the puppies.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:31 AM
    So here's a little update.

Wasn't able to get Ava into the vet yesterday, but they saw her this morning. Just from looking at her, everyone said she was pregnant... compared to how they saw her a few weeks ago.

The vet felt her stomach and said she didn't feel anything, but in no way did that mean she wasn't pregnant... because her stomach in that area was noticeably bigger.

They are holding her today and going to squeeze her into the schedule to get an x-ray to see if they can see any puppies.

The vet said if she was pregnant, she would want to spay her immediately to abort the litter :( I mentioned that she has a spaying appt through the shelter at no cost, and the vet said the shelter won't spay her if she's pregnant, and won't spay her if she's lactating.

I told her to call me when she gets the results of x-ray and we would go from there.

Am I wrong in not wanting to abort the litter, if Ava is in fact pregnant?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:41 AM
    I think that is a very personal decision for you. It depends on what you think you are equipped to handle and what you WANT to handle. I feel bad that you were put into a position such as this. Can you spay her after she has this litter?
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:49 AM
    I mean I know it will probably be hard, but I can't see myself killing these little puppies :(

If is she pregnant I can reschedule her spaying through the shelter after she is done nursing.

Lennox is neutured and Ava doesn't get out of our yard, so the chances of her becoming pregnant again are next to zero... given some dog doesn't get into our yard (but again, I'm outside when they are, so that would be next to impossible). So this would be her last litter and when she is done nursing she would be spayed.

I have a spare bedroom where Ava and the pups could stay, so Lennox wouldn't bother them... or anyone for that matter.

It just seems that the vet is pushing me to abort the litter :( (if she is pregnant)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
    With dogs I see it as more of a medical issue than a moral issue. I would almost say is the vet is willing, go for it. Remember, we are slaughtering millions of dogs for lack of homes. Keeping a whole litter of puppies to the usual 6 months for spay/neutering would be a lot of work. If they were going to be good pets in the right home, they would need plenty of socialization with people, strangers, traffic, noise, etc. It is very important puppies are exposed to things like that before they are 12 weeks old. This is part of the reason people have so much trouble with puppies from backyard breeders, puppy mills, and pet stores. Even those breeding for show often keep the litter too long to facilitate choosing the best to keep.

I do admire you for stepping up to give her and any puppies the best.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Maybe the vet feels like I do, it is a shame that such a kind caring woman and her family be put through all that having a pregnant dog and newborn puppies entails. That being said, ultimately if you feel you are up to the challenge and you want to have these puppies then do it. Educate yourself during Ava's pregnancy. Talk to your vet frequently. Then you can find each puppy a loving home.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Ugh... this is such a hard decision.

My husband has been talking to people and work (we brought Ava up there when we got her), he told some people that she might be pregnant. Two of his coworkers said if she is, they would want one.
    I would be willing to let the puppies go to homes, if I knew they were good homes, before waiting to have them spayed or neutured (as I know these 2 coworkers of my husbands would definitely get that done themselves).

But then I think of the alternative... like what has happened to me. If they don't get their pets taken care of medically, with shots, and spaying or neutering... thier pets could be faced with an unplanned pregnancy like Ava may possibly be.

UGH!! Guess I should stop worrying so much and wait to see if she is in fact pregnant. The vet told me to call at 3 (that's in about 3.5 hours)... and I will see what she says.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Macksmom First of all I think you are a treasure, I agree it would be hard to abort the puppies.
    I know you are in Ohio. I found a pom and took it to a rescue a few weeks ago, this place is quite large and has a great voucher program that they have worked out with a few vets/clinic in the Hamilton County/Northern Kentucky area that are willing to charge 25-35 dollars for spay/neuter with discounts for the shots if given that day. Let me know if you can use this info or services and I will be happy to forward this link to you.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Thanks bushg :)

If Ava is pregnant, I have definitely gotten more than I bargained for... but it's not her fault her previous owners didn't care for her correctly.

I would definitely like that info :)

Only 2.5 hours until I find out if I will need it or not haha
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Animal Rescue Fund Good luck, hopefully you will not need this.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Well the vet called early... so I just got back from picking up Ava.

She is pregnant!

They said through X-ray there are definitely 2 puppies, but there could be more. The vet said from their size she would guess Ava will have them in about 3 weeks!!

Holy crap!
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Congrats, thank goodness there isn't a huge litter. Let's hope they are healthy.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Thanks... haha I think haha

Yeah, the vet only has the 1D x-ray... so they weren't able to tell if there were more puppies. But they saw the 2 in the front and said there could be as many as 4 but she thinks that is the most she would have.

I am going to call the shelter I got Ava from and see if they can offer any help, since I have proof that she was pregnant when they got her, and since they didn't spay her before she left (which most shelters are supposed to do) I now have puppies.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Grats on the puppies!

If I were you, and you have found acceptable homes for the puppies, (which it sounds like your husband knows people who would want some) I would keep the puppies, not abort the litter, and adopt them out when they are old enough. I know it could be a pain or a hassle, but there's nothing like having your pet give birth to little tiny baby pets, it's really fun and rewarding if you know the puppies will not suffer for being born.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    Grats on the puppies!

If I were you, and you have found acceptable homes for the puppies, (which it sounds like your husband knows people who would want some) I would keep the puppies, not abort the litter, and adopt them out when they are old enough. I know it could be a pain or a hassle, but there's nothing like having your pet give birth to little tiny baby pets, it's really fun and rewarding if you know the puppies will not suffer for being born.
    Yeah we are going to allow her to have the litter... I'm not sure of the cut off date to abort them, but I have been reading more about it online yesterday and the farther along she is the more high risk it is to abort the litter, because as her belly grows so does her attaching bloodvessels.

Needless to say, it is a very risky procedure and I'm not willing to take that chance. Let just hope it's a small litter haha!

I am going to call around today to other vets and see if they have ultrasounds or something where they can see exactly how many puppies she has, so I know what to expect when she goes into labor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can my dog be pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old collie cross and have just caught her and a 7 month old rottweiler dog mating,she's a week into her season.Can she get pregnant?as she is quite old and the rottie is only 7 months.

Pregnant Dog [ 34 Answers ]

Hi! My shnauzer dog was in heat a couple months ago, and was outside when another shnauzer just showed up in our yard and they started well, going at it haha. Meanwhile, she's pregnant, and today is her 62nd day . Technically, she should give birth tomorrow, but I won't be home all day. She's...

How do I tell if my dog is pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: how do I know if my losa opso is pregnant but has not been I heat in a wile she is getting fat and smells rely bad:confused:

How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 miniature daschunds, my female was on heat and finished about 3wks ago now. We were trying to mate them, but every time I tried to help she would go shy and just want me. They were together all other times through her heat. So we don't know if he got to her or not it was both their...

Pregnant dog [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell when my daschund is pregnant? For the last week she has been whining and seems to be uncomfortable but she doesn't seem to be gaining a lot of weight??

View more questions Search