• NO

7 46.67%
  • UNDECIDED

2 13.33%
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Scotty,

Starman has dug up of that oldy but goody augment for intelligence design but gave it a new twist. He substituted arrowhead for the original watch. But it's still the same old argument that was shot doiwn decades ago. "In any case, I am sure that if you found a simple arrowhead in the desert and I told you it was a product of chance you would imediately protest by saying that it shows clear evidence of planning and forethought which indicates intelligent design. But faced with the infinitely more complex human brain you imediately switch criteria ans say you see nothing indicvating forethought and planning? Sorry but that type of biased reasoning or selective blindness weakens your case, for evolutionary or mindless chance emergence of things since it shows a serious flaw in reasining and inconsistency of criterion."
    Scotty, there is no winning a religious debate with a believer. Although they can offer no concrete proof they still attempt to push their cause.
    I've had 13 years of arguing reason and logic against faith and design. Ya can't win, sport! If you make a valid point or convincing argument that they can not respond they simply ignore it and pretend it was never said or change the subject. Once more! Ya can't win! It's next to impossible to open a closed mind. "God said it! I believe it! and that settles it!" Those that believe Genesis is literally the "word of God" and not composed by the framers of the Bible as a moral guide will never be convinced that man lived for 800 years, that the entire earth was under water from a "great flood" , that the universal physical laws of nature are reversed where a man could transport himself over water without getting wet and come back from the dead will never be convinced that this never happened. That the Bible was written by men whose one purpose in life was to glorify their religion. That most of the Jewish Religion was lifted from earlier pagan religions and the Christian Religion was lifted from that. There's no denying that. The flood, virgin birth, resurrection, angels, devils etc. All lifted from the Zoroastran Religion that flourished in Persia in the 6th. Century BC.
    Interestering enough, Zororaster was born of a virgin, preached, was crucified and rose from the dead. Or so they claim. This is historical fact and can not be disputed. This also gave raise to the movement that denied that jesus even existed.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    So you believe the Bible literally? Man lived 800 years, the entire world was covered by a great flood etc? And can yet find nothing to disprove it? How about The Universal Law of Physics. Or just common sense.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 22, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Speedball1-First off if you'd read my post or read my previous posting you'd know that I don't believe anyone's bible is of a divine nature but mans attempts at rallying the masses under one banner or another .Also to add a fact whether you believe A or B or C there are no hard facts one way or another that someone's theory is right or wrong. For whatever your belief system is, there will always be those who say I'm RIGHT so that makes you wrong, a concept I thoroughly reject as being non-productive and unprovable. Since I doubt if you or anyone else will be there when I meet my maker I really don't care about theories and opinions when it comes to how I go down the path of my own life. I do believe people should at least be able to debate with out getting so carried away with there own bull crap that nothing that they disagree with starts a debate not about give and take but comes down to calling names and casting aspersions on people who have the same rights to whatever as everyone. I really don't give a rats behind if the world was flood since I wasn't there and neither were you or anyone else who forms an opinion. The problem I have with some of the people who engage in these post is they take themselves so seriously that good debate is impossible. We aren't here to convert anyone just talk and exchange ideas and I 'm sure that those who claim to know about the universal laws and such are only seeing the tip of the iceberg as anything is possible and because you think you know you don't and guess what neither do I. So chill with that absolute proof thing cause it just ain't absolute!
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Tally,
    I didn't think so until I picked up on. " I have seen no scientific facts that refute anything the bible says." If I have misunderstood you then I apologize. I have no wish to burst the bubble of anyone that believes the Universal Law of Physics are suspended when religious "miracles" are involved. I'm not attempting to convert any one. Years of debating Fundamentalists have convinced me that it's impossible. I'm just pointing out the most of the Bible isn't based on historical fact. I take a very dim view of word for word conversations that were written down hundreds of years later.
    Of coures you're entitled to your beliefs. Just as I'm entitled to debate them.

"I do believe people should at least be able to debate with out getting so carried away with there own bull crap that nothing that they disagree with starts a debate not about give and take but comes down to calling names and casting aspersions on people who have the same rights to whatever as everyone."

I certainly appreciate your classy put down. Bull crap? Show me! Calling names? Show me! Casting aspirations? By challenging a statement? Nah Tally! Don't takie this so seriously. Have a drink or take a took and just go with the flow.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Scotty,

Starman has dug up of that oldy but goody augment for intelligence design but gave it a new twist. He substituted arrowhead for the original watch. but it's still the same old argument that was shot doiwn decades ago.

"In any case, I am sure that if you found a simple arrowhead in the desert and I told you it was a product of chance you would imediately protest by saying that it shows clear evidence of planning and forethought which indicates intelligent design. But faced with the infinitely more complex human brain you imediately switch criteria and say you see nothing indicvating forethought and planning? Sorry but that type of biased reasoning or selective blindness .

If indeed the arrowhead argument is refuted as easily as you claim why not simply post the refutation?
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The same can be said, with more basis, about religion. Religion is based on faith. Faith is drummed into people during their more impressionable years.

What I see the fact here is that you see the Theory of Evolution as attacking your beliefs in the Bible and religion. Therefore, to reinforce your belief, you have to attack Evolution. I prefer to look at the body of scientific evidence. When I do I see how that evidence fits the points of Evolution and I choose to accept Darwin's ideas as the most likely.

I don't now and never have put my faith in religion. I've indicated why in other posts I've placed on this site. If you want to put your faith in it, your are welcome to. But when you try to deny the scientific evidence. When you try to denigrate in the name of supporting your faith, I will dispute you.

BTW
    What inconsistency?
    I thought only the deity could read minds! I am not trying to denigrate or attack your beliefs. It's very unfortunate that you feel forced to classify a discussion that way. Neither am I disputing or trying to deprive you of your right to reject religion, or your right to believe whatever it is you chooose to believe or your right to dispute another person's beliefs..

BTW
    Please try not to consider the following links as an effort to denigrade your views or to deprive you of your right to believe in evolution. I only post them for those who might be interested in the subject from the creationist standpoint.

Excerpt:
    Darwinian atheist Michael Ruse has even acknowledged that evolution is their religion!
    Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion — a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality.. . Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today.25
    http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=...ainstevolution

Scientific Evidences for Creationp

http://www.clemson.edu/spurgeon/book.../Chapter7.html
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2006, 04:22 AM
    I have to agree that some of the posts seem belittling. I'm speaking as rickj here, not as a moderator. I have edited nothing in this thread.

Remember folks, words are words; we cannot see facial experession or other body language, and we can't read minds.

... so maybe some it is meant to be in jest - or harmless sarcasm - but with text this is often hard to read.

In my opinion the most effective debaters of subjects like this are the ones who say what and why they believe without mention of others or their beliefs.

... that's just my 1.01 cents worth...
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Tally,

"I do believe people should at least be able to debate with out getting so carried away with there own bull crap that nothing that they disagree with starts a debate not about give and take but comes down to calling names and casting aspersions on people who have the same rights to whatever as everyone.".

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this point. It is truly unfortunate that
    A discussion which might simply lead to an interesting exchange of ideas degenerates into what you describe,
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 04:59 AM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    Which shows that you have an open mind.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2006, 05:11 AM
    Creationist Whoppers
    Various Authors

This is a small sampler of creationist whoppers, gleaned from talk.origins in recent months. When I wrote that I had sent an unnamed creationist a small sampler of ICR whoppers, many people wrote and asked for a copy. I have much more distributed throughout my file system, and in books and on paper at home, but have not yet had a chance to gather them together. [plus my @#$! Mailer seems to be broken. Sorry to those who wrote me and got no

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an example of creationist misquoting, from Henry Morris' book, Science, Scripture, and the Young Earth, p. 12:

The catfish range in length from 11 to 24 cm. with a mean of 18 cm. Preservation is excellent. In some specimens, even the skin and other soft parts, including the adipose fin, are well preserved...

... strongly suggests that the catfish could have been transported to their site of fossilization.(19)

Note 19 refers to an article in the journal Geology by Buccheim and Surdam, which says:

The abundant and widespread occurrence of skeletons of bottom feeders, some with soft fleshy skin intact, strongly suggests that the catfish were a resident population. It is highly improbable that the catfish could have been transported to their site of fossilization. Experiments and observations made on various species of fish have shown that fish decompose and disarticulate after only very short distances of transport (Shafer, 1972).
    Karl Fezer discovered this, and wrote a critique, which he sent to Morris for comment. This resulted in the following "correction" in Acts & Facts (vol. 12, no. 11, p. 6):

CORRECTION: Readers who may have purchased the booklet, Science, Scripture, and the Young Earth, announced in the August issue of Acts & Facts, should make the following correction: on page 12, delete lines 18 and 19. A section which was inadvertently omitted in this quotation (from an article in Geology by Buccheim and Surdam) inverts the authors' intended meaning. However, the argument being advanced in this section by the booklet's author, Dr. Henry Morris, is not affected by this correction. ICR writers always try diligently to quote accurately and in context, knowing that evolutionists are carefully watching their writings to ferret out any examples of misquoting which may occur, but this one got by. If the authors of the quoted paper were embarrassed in any way by our lapse in this case, we apologize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gish has been caught on numerous occasions spouting lies, yet he never offers retractions and his own religion tells him that he should be honest.

One example is Gish's "bullfrog proteins." In 1983, in a PBS show on creationism, Gish claimed that while humans and chimpanzees have many proteins which are identical or differ by only a few amino acids, there are also human proteins which are more similar to a bullfrog or a chicken than to chimpanzees. Gish was repeatedly pressed to produce his evidence. Two years later, Philip Kitcher challenged Gish to produce his evidence or retract his claim in a debate at the University of Minnesota. Gish refused to respond. Kevin Wirth of Students for Origins Research (a pro-creationist organization) begged Gish to respond in the pages of Origins Research regarding the claim. He refused. (See Robert Schadewald, "Scientific Creationism and Error," Creation/Evolution XVII (vol. 6, no. 1, 1986).)

Another example involving numerous creationists is the claim that Donald Johanson discovered "Lucy's" knee joint 2 km away from the rest of the skeleton. This claim was first made in the Bible-Science Newsletter by Tom Willis in 1987, and has since been repeated by Walter Brown, John Morris, Paul Taylor, Russell Arndts, and Michael Girouard. But it's false, apparently based on a misunderstanding at a Q&A session at the University of Missouri attended by Willis. Johanson did find a knee joint 2 km away from "Lucy," but he never claimed that this knee joint was "Lucy"'s. I gave a copy of a letter from Johanson describing the facts of the matter to Girouard in person at an ICR seminar, and he claimed he would read it carefully and respond to any letters I wrote him. I wrote him in December of 1989 and never received a reply. Brown was also informed of the facts of the matter, in both the pages of Creation/Evolution and of Origins Research. In both cases he responded with new claims about "Lucy" which had nothing to do with the knee joint--he just ignored the issue at hand. (Origins Research didn't print my follow-up.) My letter to Tom Willis received no reply. My letter to the Bible-Science Newsletter (in response to Arndts' more recent repetition of the false claim) went unpublished and I received no reply...
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    I agree.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2006, 05:20 AM
    Starman,
    "If indeed the arrowhead argument is refuted as easily as you claim why not simply post the refutation?" All you hadda do is ask!

The Watch/Arrowhead in the Desert

OK, so if you found a watch lying in the desert, would you assume that it "spontaneously assembled" itself from the desert sand and rocks? Of course not! You would assume that it was made, or created, by a skilled watchmaker, and dropped there by him or someone else. The watch was clearly designed for a very specific purpose, by someone with great expertise, who knew exactly what he wanted ahead of time. Therefore, when we find something as perfectly designed as a living animal, it is utterly foolish to assume that it "spontaneously assembled itself" either. It had to be designed, in all its perfection, by some Great Designer. The mere existence of well-designed watches and animals is all the proof we should need that both were created by someone with infinitely more wisdom than the creations. Both, by their existence alone, imply the existence of a great designer or creator. Watches don't "just evolve," and neither do animals (or people); ergo, evolution is logically absurd (and, by extension, anyone who believes in it is an illogical idiot).

Anyway, that's sort of how the analogy usually goes. And it looks pretty good at first glance. I imagine a few evolution-minded folks have been taken aback by this one, the first time they heard it, not knowing quite how to answer it at the time. I'll also bet that some creationists see this as an irrefutable gem of logic that utterly destroys evolution and all its works.

Hold on a minute, though. Since this argument is presented in the form of an analogy, let's hold the creationist to his own logic, and see if the analogy holds up. For an analogy to make any logical sense at all, the two things being compared have to have a LOT in common, not just one salient feature. For instance, when we're considering the functioning of a living thing (like a person), an analogy is often drawn with a complex machine of some sort (like a watch, but a car works even better). Both need fuel, both produce heat and waste products, both wear out eventually, both turn chemical energy into mechanical energy, both have many small but critical parts, etc. But the watch-in-the-desert analogy is not about how the things work. It's about where they came from--or really, how they came to be. And when you think about that, you come to some interesting conclusions. Remember, it's supposed to work this way: because a watch doesn't spontaneously assemble and has to have a maker who made it just the way it is, therefore an animal can't spontaneously assemble either, and it, too, must have a maker who made it just the way it presently is.

Let's start with this: watches DIDN'T just appear in the world as they presently are! As a matter of very obvious fact, they evolved . The first timepieces were very primitive, clumsy, and inaccurate. They improved over the years. If we can refer to really old time-keeping devices as "fossils," then we can show a fossil sequence of the evolution of watches from some dim time in the past up to our present electronic wonders. Nowadays they evolve visibly from one year to the next. The watchmakers went through a whole, evolving series of clocks and watches before someone carelessly dropped one in that desert. So is this supposed to prove that the animal we find in the desert was made in its present form, with no significant changes over many generations? Am I missing something here?

Remember, the debate is really about whether evolution occurs , not about whether there's a creator behind it. A watchmaker (mankind) slowly developed (evolved) the sequence of timepieces. Maybe a Watchmaker slowly developed (evolved) the sequence of living things--you'll get no argument about that here. But the evolution happened in both cases. The message of that lost watch is NOT "I sprang up in my present perfection, with no primitive ancestors before me." It's more like "I'm at the end of a long chain of slowly evolving ancestors, and my descendants will continue to change."

Is finding a man-made watch in the desert supposed to somehow show that animals were created in their present forms by magic (or miracle) some few thousand years ago? What on Earth would lead us to that conclusion? The watch wasn't created by magic. In fact it was created by purely natural processes (as opposed to supernatural). If the creation of the watch really is analogous to the creation of living things, then what the analogy shows us is that the origin of both can be explained by natural processes.

Supernatural intervention could have been responsible for either or both, but that explanation certainly isn't necessary for the watch. If we hold the creationist to the logic of his own analogy, then what the analogy "proves," if it proves anything, is that well-designed "creations" can be produced naturally, in small, incremental steps: no magic required, thank you very much.

"But, but, but..." the creationist insists, "the point of the analogy is that things like watches and animals don't spontaneously assemble!" Well, that's half right, and here's where the analogy breaks down. Any analogy can only be stretched so far. The car stops being analogous to the human body when you start talking about thought or emotions. And watches stop being analogous to animals when you start talking about how the individual item is assembled. Watches, after all, never have little baby watches! An individual watch is, of course, always assembled by something outside itself (a human watchmaker, although nowadays it's more likely to be industrial robots). All the animals I've ever seen have assembled themselves , quite literally! They take in (usually) nonliving material from their environments, chemically process it, and turn it into parts of the living animal. In the case of mammals like us, the only parts of us that are directly made by someone else are the sperm and egg cells that unite and subdivide into our first few cells. After that, for the rest of our lives, we take in material from the outside, and assemble it ourselves into parts of us. Early on, that material is supplied by our mother, but she doesn't make us: she just supplies the raw material. We absorb it, manipulate it, build ourselves , and get rid of what we don't need.

OK, I know, the point is the first animal. How could it get started? All presently living animals are started with bits of already-living matter created by their parents. Nonliving chemicals don't spontaneously assemble, don't create orderly, complex molecules out of simple elements... Don't they? If the creationist gets to this point, he has revealed his basic ignorance of the simplest chemistry. Elements and simple molecules combine spontaneously all the time to form more complex molecules. When was the last time you found any loose hydrogen on the Earth, or fluorine? All of it has spontaneously combined with other elements to form more complex molecules. If you turn some loose, it won't stay uncombined for long. Carbon atoms, especially, have a tendency to form spontaneously into all kinds of complex molecules, which in turn often combine to form very complicated polymers and mega-molecules. Some of those combinations are even self-replicating , if the raw materials are available. We don't commonly see molecules assembling themselves into living systems, but then it only had to happen once--from then on the natural tendency of life has been to keep itself going, spread out, and evolve. When you get down to the level of molecules, or small collections of them, the dividing line between living and nonliving gets pretty fuzzy. As a matter of fact, one of the basic criteria used in modern biology to distinguish living from nonliving complex systems, is that truly living systems are capable of evolving as they reproduce.

And, if we are committed to the idea of a Creator, He certainly could have been the one to arrange that first unlikely combination. He could have even directed all the evolution since then. Again, the point of the tired, old watch-in-the-desert analogy was supposed to be that evolution does not and could not occur. But watches have evolved; they aren't created miraculously, ex nihilo ; and their inability to self-assemble has nothing to do with the obvious ability of chemical compounds and living things to assemble themselves out of available materials. So how is it again that finding a man-made watch is supposed to prove that animals were created in their present forms?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Creationist Whoppers
    Various Authors ...
    ... and this contributes to the discussion how? There is no dispute that there are some bad arguments out there.
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Here are examples of what evoltionists are capable of:

DARWINISM-WATCH.com - Responding Evolutionist Propaganda in the Media
    A New Page in the History of Evolutionist Fraud. It has emerged that an evolutionist professor of anthropology has been providing false information regarding the age of some key fossils for the last 30 years.. . theory of evolution, but of evolutionist fraud. The dating and interpretation based...
    www.darwinism-watch.com/new_page.php

The Ape-Men III
    The interesting story of Piltdown man (Eoanthropus dawsoni), one of the shameful patchworks of evolutionists.. . Piltdown Man (Eoanthropus dawsoni): an Evolutionist Fraud. Piltdown man (Eoanthropus dawsoni) is one of the... was only an artfully conceived fraud. The skull fragments belonged to a...
    www.cryingvoice.com/Evolution/ApeMen3.html
    More pages from cryingvoice.com

DARWINISM-WATCH.com - Responding Evolutionist Propaganda in the Media
    ... THE EVOLUTIONIST CLAIM OF A TRANSITION FROM WATER TO LAND IS A LIE... A NEW PAGE IN THE HISTORY OF EVOLUTIONIST FRAUD...
    www.darwinism-watch.com/articles.php

The Ape-Men II
    ... A good example of evolutionist fraud and deceit of the whole world is Eugene Dubois and his ape... displays 22 stages of our ancestry. The German evolutionist G. H. R...
    www.cryingvoice.com/Evolution/ApeMen2.html

Letters to the Editor North County Times - North San Diego and Southwest Riverside County News - NCTimes.com -...
    A daily newspaper with News, Business and Sports for San Diego and Riverside Counties.. . North County Times. Evolutionist fraud never corrected... It was fraud that got that idea going, but I've never known an evolutionist who seemed interested in correcting it...
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2003...export8993.txt

Evolution - October 1998 by thread
    ... RE: Haeckel and N-rays: Fraud or self-deception ?Pim van Meurs... RE: The Evolutionist: Liar, Believer In Miracles, King of Criminals.Pim van Meurs...
    www.asa3.org:16080/archive/evolution/199810

Evolution Fraud in School Scienfic Textbooks
    Textbook Fraud. Evolutionists deliberately tolerate knowingly fraudulent pro-evolution evidence in School Textbooks. Students are deceived by fraudulent science textbooks.. . New Textbooks purchased by schools in the last year are full of fraud and lies to promote evolution... at the idea that man evolved from monkeys! Evolutionist-Converter Video Lectures...
    www.bible.ca/tracks/textbook-fraud.htm

... Lucy: Clearcut Case of Evolutionist Fraud. Posted by tomzz...
    www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-backroom/browse

What does this prove about the issues we are supposed to be discussing?
    It focuses on people who made mistakes. But that doesn't affect the objective truth in one way or the other which remains unchanged regardless of such mistakes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 23, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I am not trying to denigrate or attack your beliefs.
    Cmon Starman! Then what is this all about? Hasn't just about every post from in this thread been an attempt show that the Theory of Evolution is false?

Lets look at this quote; "Most are brainwashed in school at an early age and their impressionable minds are awed by authority figures until anything these authority figures say is considered sacrosanct." That seems to denigrate the intelligence of the majority of students. Yes they may have deen indoctrinaterd early on, but as they mature and go through higher education, they do learn to think for themselves.

The irony here is that I believe in Intelligent Design, though probably not in the way you do. I believe that some intelligent force created the building blocks of our universe, setting up natural and physical "laws". I believe this force then sat back to see what would evolve from the foundation that was created.
    -

Jun 23, 2006, 07:14 AM
    The Watch/Arrowhead in the Desert

OK, so if you found a watch lying in the desert, would you assume that it "spontaneously assembled" itself from the desert sand and rocks? Of course not! You would assume that it was made, or created, by a skilled watchmaker, and dropped there by him or someone else. The watch was clearly designed for a very specific purpose, by someone with great expertise, who knew exactly what he wanted ahead of time. Therefore, when we find something as perfectly designed as a living animal, it is utterly foolish to assume that it "spontaneously assembled itself" either. It had to be designed, in all its perfection, by some Great Designer...
    Yes, you are missing the very important fact that via a serious discrepancy you are promulgating what is called a false analogy
    By omitting the human intelligence that caused the watch to change with time. By redesigning it. It fact, you are providing the very evidence which you claim to reject.

False Analogy
    http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKR...seanalogy.html

Remember, the debate is really about whether evolution occurs, not about whether there's a creator behind it. A watchmaker (mankind) slowly developed (evolved) the sequence of timepieces. Maybe a Watchmaker slowly developed (evolved) the sequence of living things--you'll get no argument about that here. But the evolution happened in both cases. The message of that lost watch is NOT "I sprang up in my present perfection, with no primitive ancestors before me." It's more like "I'm at the end of a long chain of slowly evolving ancestors, and my descendants will continue to change."
    Unfortunately, you are describing two completely different things--change guided by human intelligence and change taking place by blind chance. They are not comparable by any stretch of the imagination.

Is finding a man-made watch in the desert supposed to somehow show that animals were created in their present forms by magic (or miracle) some few thousand years ago? What on Earth would lead us to that conclusion? The watch wasn't created by magic. In fact it was created by purely natural processes (as opposed to supernatural).
    The natural process of being designed by human intelligence as opposed to blind chance!

If the creation of the watch really is analogous to the creation of living things, then what the analogy shows us is that the origin of both can be explained by natural processes.
    All natural processes are not the same. On the one hand you have what you claim to be the natural process of evolution. On the other hand you have what you call the natural process of design and change under human intelligence. They are as different as night and day since one involves a reasoning conscious purposeful guiding force while the other doesn't.

Supernatural intervention could have been responsible for either or both, but that explanation certainly isn't necessary for the watch. If we hold the creationist to the logic of his own analogy, then what the analogy "proves," if it proves anything, is that well-designed "creations" can be produced naturally, in small, incremental steps: no magic required, thank you very much. "But, but, but..." the creationist insists, "the point of the analogy is that things like watches and animals don't spontaneously assemble!"
    Of course they assemble via the reproductive abilities given them by their creator. The issue is original life appearing on earth with the ability to replicate itself. Self replication is something that the creator of the watch if wise enough could have given it.

... We don't commonly see molecules assembling themselves into living systems, but then it only had to happen once--from then on the natural tendency of life has been to keep itself going, spread out, and evolve.
    That goes completely contrary to the law of entropy which is based on the observation that nattier tends toward disorganization.

Excerpt:
    Entropy: Enemy of Evolution?
    By Babu G. Ranganathan
    27 May 2005
    The natural tendency of matter and of all of energy is toward greater disorder -- not toward greater order or complexity as evolution would teach.

Very few scientists have considered or pondered the implications of the law of entropy upon the theory of evolution.

The theory of evolution teaches that matter tends to evolve towards greater and greater complexity and order. We are so accustomed to seeing evolution of technology all about us (new cars, boats, ships, inventions, etc.) that we assume that nature must work the same way also. Of course, we forget that all those new gadgets and technology had a human designer behind them. Nature, however, doesn't work the same way.

The simple fact is that the law of entropy precludes macro-evolution from ever occurring. Entropy is the measure of increasing disorder in a system. The natural (or spontaneous) tendency of matter and of all of energy is toward greater disorder -- not toward greater order or complexity as evolution would teach. This tendency towards disorder that exists in all matter can only be temporarily overcome if there exists an energy converting and directing mechanism to develop and maintain order.

http://www.intellectualconservative....ticle4365.html

When you get down to the level of molecules, or small collections of them, the dividing line between living and nonliving gets pretty fuzzy. As a matter of fact, one of the basic criteria used in modern biology to distinguish living from nonliving complex systems, is that truly living systems are capable of evolving as they reproduce.
    There is a vast chasm between simple spontaneous chemical reactions and combinations on an atomic and molecular level with that required to produce the complex organisms we see all around us. That, my friend requires more that an inductive leap. It requires an insurmountable leap of faith based on what evolutionists think happened.http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKT...ziliducks.html

we are committed to the idea of a Creator, He certainly could have been the one to arrange that first unlikely combination. He could have even directed all the evolution since then. Again, the point of the tired, old watch-in-the-desert analogy was supposed to be that evolution does not and could not occur.
    I understand that some would imagine God creating in the way you describe and if it were so then I would accept it. However, I find the evolution argument unconvincing. No, the watch in the desert example was and example you gave to prove that evolution occurs. The arrowhead example was an example showing how scientists apply the rules of intelligent design to the arrowhead but refuse to do the same when faced with far greater evidence in the form of organisms.

Watches have evolved; they aren't created miraculously, ex nihilo ; and their inability to self-assemble has nothing to do with the obvious ability of chemical compounds and living things to assemble themselves out of available materials. So how is it again that finding a man-made watch is supposed to prove that animals were created in their present forms?
    Once more, watches change under intelligent guidance, human forethought, a mind at work. That is not analogous to a supposed mindless organization of matter. They are actually at opposite extremes. The conclusion about the watch being a product of intelligent design is not unproven by the watch's changing in design over time. It merely reinforces it by showing the ones who designed it continued to work on it.

Also, why refer to God's works as magic? God has full command of natures forces and what might seem magical to us might be based on his deeper understanding of how nature works. What seemed like magic to mankind just a few decades ago is now taken for granted.

In any case, it was a nice discussion and thanks for your patient and decent participation. I think I will go to a less controversial subject at another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Cmon Starman! Then what is this all about? Hasn't just about every post from in this thread been an attempt show that the Theory of Evolution is false?

Lets look at this quote; "Most are brainwashed in school at an early age and their impressionable minds are awed by authority figures until anything these authority figures say is considered sacrosanct." That seems to denigrate the intelligence of the majority of students. Yes, they may have been indoctrinated early on, but as they mature and go through higher education, they do learn to think for themselves.

The irony here is that I believe in Intelligent Design, though probably not in the way you do. I believe that some intelligent force created the building blocks of our universe, setting up natural and physical "laws." I believe this force then sat back to see what would evolve from the foundation that was created.
    I apologize for hurting your feelings. That was not my intention.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 23, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Kids aren't taught to think for themselves either in grade, or high school. When they get to college, if they get to college, they are not required by most course curriculums to learn to think for themselves.
    Your timing on this is not good. My daughter is working on her Masters in Education. She is currently taking a course in Philosophy of Education. So this issue was part of the discussions in her class. I won't dispute that the American Education system has many problems. But its not as bad as you paint it. The conclusions she reached from this course was to teach students to think for themselves. So there is hope.

I went through my secondary and college education more than 30 years ago. I don't recall being especially brainwashed and indoctrinated. I very strongly believe that I am a free thinker. That I arrive at conclusions based on factual evidence and logical considerations.

One of the problems I perceive in your arguments is that you seem to consider only extremes. Things are either one way or another. That just isn't always the case.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Starman,
    "Remember, the debate is really about whether evolution occurs, not about whether there's a creator behind it"
    Whoa! Back the truck up. Your entire package is about a Creator/ Intellect Designer who just said "poof" and there we were. And now you say it's not germane to this debate? Let's stop copying and pasting up articals both pro and con. I can find as many as you can but it's nonproductive since we don't believe each other anyway.
    Let's focus instead on the issues.
    This is not about whether evolution happened. Of course it happened. We're here aren't we. This is about HOW evoluation happened. Your claim is that it happened by Intelligent Design. Mine is that it happened by natural selection.
    You claim intelligent Design. That requires a designer. Trot him out! Who is he? Does he have a name and what is it? If you can't produce or even name a Designer then how can you argue that it even took place. If you have no evidence and the only thing you can do is attempt to discredit Evolution or trot out old tired Creation arguments then you're out of gas. But I'm a fair guy. I'll back off and let you prove your case. If you have no evidence or proof to back up your claim then this debate is over and I'll get back to the plumbing page where I belong. It's been fun. For me it's been a case of "daja Vue" (sp.)
    I debated for years, both in religious chat rooms and in the street at the clinic, and this gave me a little stroll through the "faded yellow pages of yesterday". Starman, Take it from me. In those years I heard just about all the arguments that there were to hear. You haven't surprised me with anything different. Just as I could never win out there so can I never win in here. As can you. Unless you have some dramatic proof to put forth let's just agree to disagree. You're a fine debater and a challenge, plus a lot of fun to debate but I don't think Ben should have ever started this thread. It's just too emotional a subject. And your thoughts? Regards, om
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Ok I know that this is a contentious issue, but I believe that it needs to be talked about.

This has been mentioned in other threads, but I thought that it was time for a thread of its own.

The main problem that I have is how can Intelligent Design (ID) be taught as a SCIENCE when it is based TOTALLY on faith?
    At least Evolution is a Theory and until it is disproved or updated it’s the best we have.
    ID has it place in Religious Studies NOT in science.

Now I am looking for some reasoned arguments here NOT just opinionated mudslinging
    As I see it with the limited knowledge that man has there is on thing that's obvious. NO BODY KNOWS the true facts of how we came to be. I think it would be a hoot if we found out that we where all wrong and way off base. AS it stands in the big picture one does not contradict the other nor does it go very far at all in contradicting the bible or any other of the great books. I think the main problem is that we humans are so full of ourselves that we cannot imagine not knowing something! Why can't we just tell our kids the truth, that we just don't know!! :rolleyes:
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 23, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Very well put. Evolution is not a theory about the beginning, but instead of how we got from there to here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Evolution [ 9 Answers ]

As I understand it, according to Evolution Theory, in the vast passage of time in the past a species has gradually evolved (and will evolve in future) into another species when (1) the instinct to survive has "warned" a species that its survival was doomed through rise of some hostile element in...

Evolution [ 2 Answers ]

As I understand it, according to Evolution Theory, in the vast passage of time in the past a species has gradually evolved (and will evolve in future) into another species when (1) the instinct to survive has "warned" a species that its survival was doomed through rise of some hostile element in...

Human Evolution [ 29 Answers ]

If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on this earth? Why didn't they evolve?

How would finding intelligent Life on other planets effect Religious beliefs? [ 62 Answers ]

This has been touched on in a few threads from time to time. I am interested to hear some different point of views on this. If we were to discover intelligent Life on another planet, how would that effect religious beliefs? Does it help to prove or disprove certain religions?

Intelligent design [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have a question . Please help me on it: Stephen jay Gould thought the best way to argue against intelligent design as the origin of modern flora and fauma was to focus on such oddities of nature as a whale fetus's developping and then dissolving a comlpete set for teeth, in contrast...

View more questions Search