Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angie Alice Cramer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
    Pay Literary Agent's editor for many rewrites??
    Hello... a friend of mine sent his manuscript to a literary agent. This agent wants to send the manuscript to THEIR EDITORS who will let them know if the manuscript needs SUBSTANTIAL RE-WRITES.(YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM $80)... If the manuscript needs substantial re-writes, the author pays for it all... If the manuscript does NOT need "substantial" rewrites, then the literary agent helps the author fix up the rest of the manuscript in order for the agent to sell it to publishers....QUESTION: I feel that the literary agent has everyone's manuscript come back from the editor saying SUBSTANTIAL REWRITES... I feel that the literary agent gets A CUT OF PAY from these 'editors' who continually re-write the manuscript... QUESTION::: Is it normal to keep paying and paying an editor for re-writing work OR do you just pay the editor a one time FLAT FEE to cover whatever re-writes need to be done?? Thank you.ANGIE
    Mooshie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 09:09 PM
    No no no no no no no! You never, EVER pay an agent ANYTHING up front. NEVER. If any agent tells you you need whatever from them and it'll cost you whatever before they can submit your work, DROP THAT AGENT. Here are the only acceptable responses you should get from a reputable agent:
    1. Based on the manuscript (or whatever) that you submitted, we aren't interested in taking you on as a client.
    2. We think your manuscript (or whatever) has potential, but it's not quite good enough. Perhaps with the assistance of (a writer/an editor/etc.) it might be good enough. If you choose to go that route, send us the revised whatever. If you would like recommendations on possible writers/editors/whatever, please let us know. But all we're giving is a referral; we're not advising you to hire any specific person or organization, we're not providing this service, and we're not charging for this service. We're just being nice and giving you the names of some people to talk to.
    3. Based on the manuscript (or whatever) you submitted, we are interested in taking you on as a client. We get paid only when your whatever is sold. Our fee is X percent (10% to 15% is standard).

But they sound really sincere! You may say. OK, let's see how sincere they are. When they say, "We love it, but in order to take this on it has to be rewritten (or whatever), and we'll provide that service for X dollars," tell them, "OK, fine. We'll agree that your people will rewrite this and that, pending my approval of the rewritten material, you will act as agent for this manuscript (or whatever). However, you will not be paid for these rewrites unless and until you sell the work for a minimum advance of X." I guarantee you they will balk. At which point you say, "Huh. I guess either you don't love my work as much as you say you do or you have no confidence whatsoever in the services you're pitching me. See ya!"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Editor in linux [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Our company shifted from windows to linux recently. And I don't know anything about linux. I am a java developer. I want a free Editor (like ultraedit, notepad++ in windows), so that I can open more no of files (say 160) and which have options like replace in all files, or in a folder...

Small video editor but... [ 2 Answers ]

... with good collection of transition effects. Can anyone suggest something? Thank you!

Visual Basic 6.3 Editor [ 0 Answers ]

With WinXp, Office XP, Publisher XP, Front Page 2003, is it possible to access VB63Editor outside of office rather than clicking the icon from with Publisher. I already know about Script Editor but I want to run VB as a stand-alone.

Lps To Cds With Nero Wave Editor Or Other Program [ 2 Answers ]

Hi; I would like to pass my lps and tapes to cds, I read that I can use Nero wave editor V 1.0 for this, but I don't know how to do it. Or is there a easier way to do it with other program? By the way I have nero, clonecd, alcohol 120% too, if any of these are good for? Thank you

Math symbol text editor [ 1 Answers ]

Where on the internet can I find a free, non-shareware Math symbol text editor? By non-shareware, I mean that It will not stop working after 30 days and require payment to get codes to unlock the program.

View more questions Search