Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chomp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Using web forms to update a database
    Good Day All;

Let me say right from the start I am somewhat new at this.

At my place of work I am trying to convince the "higher_ups_" that using web forms and web reports is the way to go. It seems the only way I will be able to do this, is to develop an application @ home and show how it was done.
    This is what I would like to do.

Show how a web form can be used to collect data.
    Show how Web reports can be used to report.

I have been looking at MS Visual Web developer, Macromedia as a tool to use at home.
    The problem with any "new" tool, I need to develop it at home and then (screen shots and or Macromedia Captivate) show how it can be used.

Any suggestions.

Regards

Chomp
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 12, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    I have been looking at MS Visual Web developer, Macromedia as a tool to use at home.
    The problem with any "new" tool, I need to develop it at home and then (screen shots and or Macromedia Captivate) show how it can be used.
    It's not clear from the above what you mean by "new" tool: MS Visual Web developer and Macromedia, or something other than these. I'll assume you're including these tools in the "new" category.

My suggestion would be to do a simple set of forms and reports in PHP that uses a flat file database as a proof of concept, which I believe is what you're talking about. Usually with management types, it's good to develop a demonstration that relates to some degree to the actual work the company does.

I'd recommend the following text for its examples:

Amazon.com: PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition) (Developer's Library): Books: Luke Welling,Laura Thomson

Go through the examples in Chapter 2, Storing and Retrieving Data (it's only 20 pages and they provide source code); there's a complete example of storing orders in a simple flat file database and retrieving them in simple reports. If you understand what's being done in this chapter, you'll be able to edit the example scripts to develop a demo for management. You might want to look at what's covered in Chapters 3 & 4, too. Note that you *don't* need to learn MySQL for a proof of concept demonstration; using a flat file database should be sufficient.

You'll have to make sure PHP is installed & running on your home PC as well as the demo PC at work. I've done this on a Mac but not on a Windows machine, so I can't be of much help there. The book cited has an appendix on installing PHP, and you might Google "install php" for resources like this one:

PHP: Installation on Windows systems - Manual

Vasily
    chomp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Comment on vingogly's post
    This has started me in the right direction to produce a demo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up web site and web shop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me the best way to set up a web site with web shop. I have looked online but overloaded with conflicting information. What things do I need and in what order?

Ms Works Database [ 3 Answers ]

I am using ms works database but the only way I can add the contents of a field is by creating a report.Anyone help me please there must be a shorter way.:)

Database [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! I would like to have some detailed information about This topic:- Specify the hardware needed to support Database system, supporting your reasoning with argument and a detailed rationale. Waiting for your reply Cheers Reetika

ASP Form for update database in Sqlserver2000 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello About how can I make update in database that was based in SQL server2000 Details: I made web pages in ASP, and I want to make update in database from the ASP Page I made the code but it gave me a message that "operation is not allowed when the object is closed" Bellow you can see the...

Database [ 1 Answers ]

In a database I have inputed a subform. The subform adds up totals of plants by adding Price*quantity. That is fine, the problem I have is that I want to have a box that adds up all the plants totals to give an overal price. Anyway you can help me? Thanks

View more questions Search