Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    everyday7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Family member won't move out of my house
    Here is my dilemma. My mother, aged 83, came to stay with me last February and has decided she doesn't want to move out. We have no written rental agreement. She has contributed somewhat to expenses (mostly utility bills, but some $ has been given). She is more or less destitute and I felt badly about asking her to leave. She does have her social security. I also have three siblings who SAY they cannot help her.

I need for her to move out because the house needs to have major repairs done on it and my son would like to get it ready to rent out at some point. The house is in my sons' names now, although originally it was in my and ex-husband's name. Ex pays the mortgage still and he also would like her to move out if she can't pay rent (which she has told me she cannot pay).

I have asked her several times to move out and she says she is not going to move out.
    What are my options? I live in Hemet, California.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2007, 04:07 PM
    I think you need to fnd a nursing home for her and move her into it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Hello everyday:

Let me see if I understand this. YOU WANT TO PUT YOUR 83 YEAR OLD MOTHER ON THE STREET. And you want US to tell YOU how to do that?? Is that about it??

You're dreamin...

excon

Nov 12, 2007, 10:27 AM
    She wouldn't be on the streets. I have three siblings who would jump in but they are simply taking advantage of the situation. It is difficult. I was just looking for some legal advice.

Nov 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Also, although due to her age one would suggest a nursing home, she is in excellent health and perfectly capable of taking care of herself. She still drives long distances, takes care of her own cooking etc. She blew all her money on the stock market.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Then look for an assisted living center.

Bottom line is you can't just put her out, you would have to evict her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

? About getting a family member to move [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I live in a single family home that is owned by his mother. She lives in an inlaw apartment over the garage. We pay her rent to live here. My husbands sister lives in the basement which is finished off and is supposed to be paying rent. Since my husband's father passed away...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Asking family member to move out of my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I live in the Bay Area, California and need to get my wife's over 18 year old son out of my house. He has never paid rent or helped out with anything. I need to sell the home and thus he needs to leave. He cannot go where I am moving to. Since he is a Lodger? can't I just tell him to...

Family Member Won't Move Out [ 3 Answers ]

My aunt owns her home. While she is not currently living there, she is helping her nephew out by letting him stay until he gets on his feet. There is no legal agreement (paperwork)... it was a verbal understanding, and when he moved in it was under the understanding that it was NOT permanent, and...

Remove a family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can I remove an adult family member from my home She does not follow any rules and does not help out or do anything. She comes and goes when she feels like it and is upsetting the house hold

View more questions Search