Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drewreed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Is it too early to move in together?
    I am a 21 year old college student finishing my final year in college. I started my first relationship with a 25 year old male who is planning on going to medical school next year. This is also his first relationship. We have had a great relationship so far even though we have been forced to do long distance (I go to school about 500 miles away from my hometown where we started dating). Next term, he wants to move move up with me and live together. Both of us are really looking forward to being able to see one another everyday.

My question is, do you think this is too early to be considering moving in together? I have heard that couples who live together often have a higher rate of break up later on in the relationship? I should mention that we have said we love each other very much and he mentions the prospect of marriage often. I know from reading other posts on this site, that it is much much too early to be seriously discussing marriage at this point in our relationship.

My understanding is that he wants to marry me, but of course we're not formalizing anything right now. When we talk about it, I usually say I want to do long term with him too but that we should wait at least until our first year mark to seriously discuss this and waiting until our second year mark would be an even better time to consider marriage. We believe being able to live together for the rest of the academic year (approximately 6 months) as a good way to get to know one another more.

We love each other very much and have learned we have very similar backgrounds. We also find that it has been hard to meet gay guys that have the same interests and values that we share. For instance, we both have Christian upbringings, science backgrounds, and relatively conservative personalities. Finding a guy in the gay community who wants a truly monogamous relationship when you're both in your early 20s is rather hard to come across.

His parents support our relationship and us moving in together. Unfortunately, my parents do not know about my relationship with him, let alone know that I am gay. I acknowledge that this is a significant issue that eventually needs to be remedied.

My main concern is that we both do not know after the six months are up where he will end up in med school and where I will end up post-graduation. I plan on applying to graduate school, however that could be anywhere in the US. Would living together temporarily be a detriment to our relationship if we are unsure of where we'll both physically be in year? I know that because our relationship is still new, we should take things slowly and enjoy our time together as it comes. Still, I like the thought of being in a relationship that has the potential to go somewhere in the long run. This guy is very different from my impression of other gay guys. He is stable and most importantly extremely trustworthy. I feel absolutely safe with him.

So anyway, my main question is, could you please give me advice on if you think we're moving too fast and if you think we should postpone moving in together given our situations?

Thanks a lot
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
    When I met my husband, he moved in after dating only 2 weeks... sure, we just got married, but we've been together 8 years now. It can be real bliss, but it can be troublesome as well.

Living together will force you to learn the good and the bad about each other and your relationship FAST. As long as your open to his potentially annoying habits, etc. you'll be fine. The key is communication and similar paths... which it sounds like you have. I think its important to have an independent attitude when living together... not everything has to be done together. You can still have your own friends, etc. as your relationship progresses.

Reading your post, the only thing that struck me as problematic is your relationship with your parents. Hiding your sexuality will be much harder if you move in together first. If they find out "the hard way" it might cause tension not just with you but with your boyfriend.

I would recommend clearing the air with them before you get more serious in your relationship. Give it the fresh start it deserves...
    Good luck!
    drewreed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Oh, I should clarify that its been a little over three months since we met each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex wants to move in with me. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm suffering with a huge dilema. My girlfriend and I split up nearly two months ago and we did so on fairly good terms. She was suffering with post-traumatic depression and felt she was bringing me down through her mood swings and not good for me. She since started a course of prozac and...

Animated move from late 70's or early 80's [ 2 Answers ]

I've been searching the internet for years trying to find this movie that I watched one time when I was very young. I watched it in the mid 80's, but it could be as old as the 70's. I don't remember much except the end. I do know that it involved two kinds of fairies (I think), a boy and a...

Ex will not move out [ 1 Answers ]

My ex will not leave my apartment. She are not on my lease. We ended our relationship about 2 months ago and I told her that I wanted her to move out, I gave her 2 months to move. Now she is saying that she will not leave. Under FL law if someone lives someplace for 30 days I can't just put...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Still can't move on [ 9 Answers ]

Hi wondering if anyone can help. I split up with my ex 6 months ago. He finished the relationship, I did not want it to end. Since we have split we have remained friends and have continued to see each other often resulting in us sleeping together. He says that he doesn't want to be with me at the...

View more questions Search