Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sotchere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 04:20 AM
    Iodine Number Of Fat
    Can anyone out there explain to me like a five year old boy how the formulae for calculating the IODINE NUMBER and CHLORINE NUBER of fats were derived?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 07:13 AM
    The iodine number is more measured than calculated. It is found by adding iodine to the fat. The iodine will open and add to the double bonds in an unsaturated fat. An equivalent of oleic acid with one double bond, will add 2 equilivents of iodine. Linoleic with 2 double bonds will add 4 equilivents. A pair of conjugated double bonds will only add 2 instead of 4. Iodine number is reported as grams per 1000 grams. Possibly grams of potassium hydroxide instead of iodine. Been about 30 years since I have looked at this stuff. If you need help with equivalents, you should be able to find it in a chemistry text book.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to get CAF number for POA? [ 10 Answers ]

I had filed 2 tax returns for my friends. They received their Refund check. How can I get CAF number for form 2848? When I filed the returns I entered NONE in the space. Any advice will be helpful. Thank you

H4 Visa - Tax ID Number - W4 [ 47 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on on H1 Visa since last 5 years working for same company. I've been filing my tax returns as a Resident Alien. Last year I got married and my wife came from India on H4 visa. She is Indian citizen. She is living in US from Feb 2005 onwards. In July of 2005, I applied to IRS to get...

Iodine Numbers [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know how to calculate iodine numbers? :eek: If so please explain it to me like I was a two year old, then maybe I might get it! The data I have is: The weight of the fat sample in grams Amount of thiosulphate required in ml Blank-fat source titration value in ml Doe...

Iodine clock chemical reaction [ 4 Answers ]

In our chem lab we're doing an iodine clock experiment. I need help with my equation KIO3 + NaHSO3 + starch --->? I'm pretty sure I2 is produced but I'm not sure of anything else. I need a molecular equation and a net ionic equation. Please help! Thanks

AOL 800 number [ 2 Answers ]

? I need a 800 number so I can call American Online - I can't seem to find one - Has anyone have it ?

View more questions Search