Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roarkasg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Broken Slip Joint Nut
    While replacing the bathroom sink in an old house, the slip joint connecting the pipe coming from the wall to the P trap broke. Unfortunately, there is a lip on the end of the pipe coming from the wall, so I can't simply slip a new slip joint nut onto the pipe coming from the wall. I removed the escutcheon and slip joint connecting the pipe into the wall, but I can't get the pipe to budge. I think it may extend into the wall, behind the tile and plaster. Is there an easy fix for getting a new slip joint onto the pipe coming from the wall, so that I can connect the ptrap to it without having to remove the tile and plaster?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Not sure why the pipe has a lip since the side with the nut should slide inside the next piece of drain. Describe the piece that pipe connected to. Maybe you can cut it off and slip a new nut and washer onto the pipe. Depends on what the next piece is.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 09:03 PM
    You have a threaded nipple sticking out of the wall and a nut and gasket on the pipe from the trap? Once you loosen that nut, the pipe to the trap should pull out of the threaded nipple. It may be old and rotten and corroded. Squirt some sort of oil on the joint, I prefer spray silicone. Other swear by WD-40, PB Blaster, etc. If nothing else, the kitchen stuff to keep pans from sticking. Then pound on the pipe. Finally, try to pull it out with a twisting motion. Once you have it out, go buy a new piece like it. It is possible the newer things you can buy won't fit the old. In that case, you may have to buy a new trap too and even a new tail stock. You tear into old stuff, you never know where you will be able to stop. Take it easy on the threaded nipple going into the wall. Replacing it could be tough.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2007, 06:33 AM
    This pipe is called "The Trap Tail" and is secured by a solderjoint if the stubout's copper and a compression nut if the drainage's cast iron with a threaded galvanized nipple for a stub out. Follow Labmans advice, put some muscle into it and the chrome tail should pull right out. You may purchase a trap tail separately along with a new gasket for the compression nut. Good luck, Tom
    jayfixer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 01:50 AM
    Get a slip nut and a 2" diameter stainles steel band clamp. Cut the tabs (if any) from the slipnut, then make one vertical cut all the way through. This lets you get it over the tailiece. Put plumbers putty where the cut is, then put the band around the nut and tighten the screw of the band. It mey be best to put the nut threads over the piece you are connecting to, then tighten the clamp.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 04:51 AM

Hi Jay...

Old post here from 2007... see upper left hand of each post... so hoping Roarkasg fixed this by now.

Your advice is certainly reasonable except that the shielded clamp for tubular/copper piping would need to be an 1.25" (1.5" diameter) clamp and they would also have needed to replace the entire trap using this approach as well!

Thanks for posting...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Gown Slip [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a slip that I wore for my wedding in November. I bought it at davids bridal. It was 60.00. I only wore it the once and I have no use for it! It is very fluffy! I believe it is a size 9. If anyone has a need for one please contact me and we can work something out!

PVC septic access pipe broken off in union joint. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We recently bought an older (54 yrs) home with a septic system. The tank was replaced 14 years ago and has a PVC access pipe on top of it. This pipe was broken off in the union (am I using that term right? I'd call it a collar, but I'm not a plumber) set in the top of the tank before we...

Broken PVC (vent/drain) pipe at joint [ 1 Answers ]

So I had a clogged drain and I was checking the trap. I was under the house and was working on the pipes when I accidentally broke the drain pipe off at a T joint just below the trap. How can I remove the broken end from the joint since it was solvent welded in? Or what else can I do?

Broken nut holding trap... [ 3 Answers ]

OK - I have attached pictures to this because I have no idea of the terms I am about to throw around, and if any of them are correct. We recently purchased an older victorian, and the downstairs bath does not look like it has been renovated in the last 15 to 20 years. It is in decent shape,...

Slip Punch? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know what a slip punch is? For all the guessers- It is not slipping a punch as a boxer does.

View more questions Search