Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larrys1835 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 08:05 AM
    How do you get HIV
    How exactly can you get the HIV vireus from kissing or oral sex, intercourse between man and woman or woman to woman through oral. Everyone talks of it but nobody really specific on how you can get it. Can wife get it from another woman orally?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Hello larry:

I don't know who "everyone" is. But, EVERYBODY I know, knows that HIV is caused by unprotected vaginal sex . That's not SECRET information. It's been around for a LONG LONG time.

What blows me away, is that in this day and age, we'd get a question like that.

excon

PS> (edited) Unprotected anal sex too.
    larrys1835 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Exactly what I said avoids the direct question
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
    HIV is a virus which can be transmitted through the exchange of bodily fluids except saliva. There are several theories why it can't be passed through saliva maybe it's the enzymes or glycoproteins in it which kill the virus, this means it can't be passed through kissing.

The most common methods are through exchange of blood i.e. through cuts, razors, shared needles or blood products.
    The other is sexually - through semen and vaginal fluid. Unprotected intercourse carries a high risk - higher for women of men receiving anal sex. Circumscised men carry a lower risk of contracting, although it still exists.
    Oral sex carries a risk, lower than intercouse, of transmission, bleeding gums and ulcers will increase this risk.

A baby born to an infected mother will also without preventative measures become infected. Breastfeeding off an infected women will also cause transmission.
    HIV Tutorial

So yes your wife can get it through another woman from oral sex but it is less likely than through other methods. Not many studies have been done successfully on the transmission rates of oral sex as it is hard to isolate a group who only have oral sex.Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk EDIT this is a really good site to have a look about.

I hope this clears things up for you, if I have missed any other questions you would like answering just post back and I'll expand on the subject.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIV Questions [ 3 Answers ]

How long can it take for HIV to start showing Syptoms? Can it take 6 or 7 years?

HIV + Partner [ 2 Answers ]

My female parner is HIV + we had protected sex but earlyer I had shaved my pubic area no cuts, and latter had sex with a condom whe finished I notices a bit of clear blood on my shaft an pubic are Could I Be Infected? Only educated Answer please

HIV can it get in the way? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I have a question for anyone who might know but I will say that I'm very scared to ask. Is it possible to have a baby with a sergeant mother even if I have hiv? See the problem is that I was with a partner for 3 and a half years and found out that in the last four months of our relationship...

HIV,is it possible? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the window period for HIV to show up on a test? A friend had a sexual encounter with someone he had just met during a trip. I am not sure the number of times or duration of their affair. His trip was not more than a week and he had no contact with her since his return. He was...

View more questions Search