Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmeno Posts: 215, Reputation: 23

Nov 19, 2005, 07:18 PM
    Spyware and viruses
    Does anyone know of any good websites to go to to remove spyware and viruses form your PC w/o paying for it?
    martyrod Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Spysweeper is a good one for free. I used it for a long time. Keep in mind, spy sweeper can also contain spyware. Also Trend Micro you can get for free for one year. That is also a good one.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 20, 2005, 01:18 AM
    This is excellent

Online scanner
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2005, 04:38 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    Here is a listing of free programs I use, and the suggested way to use them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
    Click on the "Remove CoolWeb Search" button to download

Both of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.4

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Free online scan at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

The SpyWare Blaster 3.4 is excellent at stopping spyware from getting into the computer in the first place. I haven't found any spyware using AdAware since installing SpyWare Blaster.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2005, 05:02 AM
    Most the spyware tools have been taken care off but I'd also like to point out Spybot: S&D and Microsoft Anti-Spyware (soon to be renamed as Windows Defender).

As for a free virus scanner, I recommend Avast! Antivirus. AVG is also recommened and used by some of the members here.

Links to all the mentioned software is below in my signature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spyware [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Can someone please help me. My computer has recently been infected with spyware and I think it is using Windows Messenger to send these files to and from my computer. I have done a virus scan and the file that appears is sq.ini I have deleted this file and my computer is still...

Hi there anyone its about computer viruses... [ 5 Answers ]

Firt I want to thank you who every you are by reading this... now I have a computer problem... but I want to know first what is the best anti spy or virus should I use... I have tried spybots, adaware, Microsoft beta, trojan hunter, norton 2005, zero pop-up, spyware doctor, symantic, avast... but...

Spyware [ 3 Answers ]

What is , "Common hijacker?"

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

View more questions Search