Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dno36 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 09:22 AM
    New wiring to my garage for a small 220v welder.
    Greetings all,

I have a small dual voltage welder 150 amp output @ 220v, 90 amp @ 110v, that I have used as a portable for a number of years. It is a great welder.

When I got it, I had it converted to a 110v plug by my partner(who is long gone), as it is used from regular 110 outlets all the time. I have lost the adapter plug that came with it.

I now would like to use the welder in my garage, I have a large project that has heavier material to TIG weld, and I would like the increased welding power from the 220v.

My house is newer, has a large 100 amp service box (88 feet away) with plenty of spaces open.

My garage currently has 1 - 110v 20amp GFI outlet and 1 -15 amp for the door lift.

I would like to add a 220v 20amp for my welder and 1- additional 20 amp for a saw.

The saw and the welder would NOT be used at the same time, this is just my garage.

I am prepared to run new 1/2"conduit across the basement. Is this large enough?

I am thinking of 12ga wire, 2 reds and a white, and a 20amp dual pole breaker in the service box.

Can I run both outlets off the same breaker?

How many wires do I need to run?

What type of outlet should I use?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Dean.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Need to know the AC I (current) Max value, and the duty cycle, and any other info listed on the nameplate of the welder.
    dno36 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Tkr:
    The welder is a Miller Maxstar 150
    It has the following info:

Duty Cycle Rating: 230 VAC TIG 100 amps @ 14 Volts-100%

Amperage Draw at the above rating 8.3 amps

Hope this is what you need.

Thanks

Dean.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 05:55 AM
    For this unit a 20 amp circuit is fine, but for this distance I would use 3- #10 THHN copper wires pulled through the 1/2" EMT.

Use a NEMA 6-20R 20 Amp 250 volt 3 wire receptacle, with the T slot, will accept 15 Amp 250 volt plugs also.

You can have two outlets,one for each tool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring an outlet for a welder [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of setting up my new welder. The box that I had installed by an electrician has 4 wires, black, red, white and bare. My welder has a three prong plug as does the new outlet that I just bought. Which wire goes to the ground prong of the outlet, white or bare? Do I ignore the...

Wiring an outlet for 230V welder? [ 7 Answers ]

My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled...

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

Welder hook up in garage [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a used Miller Syncrowave 351 Welder for my garage. I contacted Miller Electrics online Tech service. They sent me this. The electrical service guide for a Syncrowave 351 shows that at 50/60HZ single phase, input voltage at 230 without power factor Correction you Will need a 125...

220v 50a welder, 220v 30a dryer plug [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an arc welder that is 220v 50a. I thought I could plug it into the 220v receptacle in my garage, not realizing how many different types of 220v plugs and amperages there are. The receptacle in my garage turns out to be a 220v 30a dryer plug. My question is can I just change the...

View more questions Search