Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigiz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Adding Spouses name to mortgage
    My husband and I would like to add my name to the mortgage and deed of our house.
    Our mortgage company told my husband that we would need to refinance and that our interest rate would go up. Can they do that? If my name is not put on the mortgage and deed what would my legal rights be in Massachusetts. I am contributing to the payments and we both want to make sure I would be protected if something were to happen to my husband.
    almonkey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gigiz
    My husband and I would like to add my name to the mortgage and deed of our house.
    Our mortage company told my husband that we would need to refinance and that our interest rate would go up. Can they do that? If my name is not put on the mortage and deed what would my legal rights be in Massachusetts. I am contributing to the payments and we both want to make sure I would be protected if something were to happen to my husband.
    You can be on the deed without being on the mortgage in many states. In fact, it is all the benefit without the pain. You wouldn't be "legally" responsible for the mortgage but neither party could sell w/out the other. I would never recommned anyone doing this because of the rate of divorce. This makes for only 1 party being responsible for the mortgage and both on the decision on selling. Not fair and really puts the burden of financial responsibility on only 1. If you are sharing responsibility of ownership you might as well share the responsibility of the liability too.
    If something happens to your husband, in many states the wife is automatically the beneficiary. Check it out. The most sound advice would be to shop rates and see if refinancing now can get you a better rate and get you on the deed too. I wouldn't do 1 w/out the other. Just setting yourself up for problems later.
    musynina Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gigiz
    Our mortage company told my husband that we would need to refinance and that our interest rate would go up. Can they do that? If my name is not put on the mortage and deed what would my legal rights be in Massachusetts. I am contributing to the payments and we both want to make sure I would be protected if something were to happen to my husband.
    What about having your attorney prepare a Will for both of you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement for military spouses [ 1 Answers ]

A lady to whom I met the other day, was explaining to me that her husband spent 26 years in the army,and is now deceased, and all she gets is 96.00 a month , is this right, is this all this poor 78 year old lady gets after her husband retired fro the military with 26 years under his belt? Thank...

Can they take a spouses money in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. My husband had his wages garnished by a law firm for a credit card company. He then switched jobs, so I sent the law firm a letter stating that I would like to set up some sort of payment plan and sent them a check along with the letter. I heard nothing from them but...

Removing ex spouses name from mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I was awarded the marital home in a divorce settlement and my wife is supposed to execute a special warranty deed in conformity with this award. Will I be able to refinance the home in my name Only if she refuses to sign the deed?

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search