Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magijer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 01:49 AM
    compressibility factor of water
    Hi,

I have to calculate the pressure drop in a steel pipe filled with water. To do that I need the compressibility facor of water in relation to the themperature (greek : X).
    There shoould be a graphique that shows the relationship between the two but I can't find it anywhere.
    Is there somebody who can give me a link or even the graphique (or formula) itself?

Kind regards,

Peter
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Water does not compress. Are you looking for thermal expansion and/or contraction?
    Try this link:
    properties of water - Google Search
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 07:23 AM
    I've always been told that water cannot be compressed.
    Do you have something you could share with us (me) to correct my lack of knowledge?
    I'd appreciate your input, Capuchin.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Upon further research, I found this:

Water (molecule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    The compressibility of water is a function of pressure and temperature. At 0 °C in the limit of zero pressure the compressibility is 5.1×10-5 bar−1. In the zero pressure limit the compressibility reaches a minimum of 4.4×10-5 bar−1 around 45 °C before increasing again with increasing temperature. As the pressure is increased the compressibility decreases, being 3.9×10-5 bar−1 at 0 °C and 1000 bar. The bulk modulus of water is 2.2×109 Pa. The low compressibility of non-gases, and of water in particular, leads to them often being incorrectly labelled as incompressible. The low compressibility of water means that even in the deep oceans at 4000 m depth, where pressures are 4×107 Pa, there is only a 1.8% decrease in volume.
    I wrongly assumed that what I was taught and told was correct. My mistake.
    Peter, I hope this better answers your original concern.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Incompressibility of liquids is a nice simplification that is near enough to true for most applications like pneumatics etc. It simplifies a lot of the math.

An interesting result of incompressibility is that sound waves cannot propagate through an incompressible medium. This obviously is not the case for everyday materials. :)
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Not through, but how about across the surface of such medium?
    **edit** fluid or solid?

Since my earlier ignorance, I reseached some and learned a little about compessiblity of materials and learned a little about Osmium... unique stuff!
    sanjiv deshmukh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 10:17 PM

550 of water in a DI pipe at 11 Kg/sqcm pressure, pressure drops to 7 Kg/sqcm. What quantity of water must have been lost. Please give reasons with formulas or some suggestions.
    ihab alaa mosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 08:07 AM

Which has more compressibility water or steel
    ihab alaa mosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Which has more compressibility factor (water or steel) ?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:09 AM

Well, ask yourself what can you compress more easily, a metal bar, or a bottle completely filled with water?
    jstans7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
    There is a compressibility factor for water, but it is ridiculously small, a 1 followed by many 0's until we hit a value.
    jstans7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 02:21 PM
    There is a compressibility factor, but it is ridiculously small, A 1 followed by many zeroes until we hit a number. I don't recall it (who would), but an elementary physics manual should have it.
    DWDriller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
    I do not have a temperature correction handy, but you can likely find this answer in from the same source which I found the answer to compressibility with respect to pressure change.

From the 'CRC Handbook of Tables for Applied Science', Table 1-50, you can see that compressibility of water is estimated at 0.0045, which is defined as deltaV / V in percent for water for each atm pressure applied, and at 1 atm and atmosperhic temperature (not significantly affected by temperature at range of 0-100 deg F).

Web address to table:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/physic...er-150423.html
    DWDriller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Sorry I entered an incorrect website link.
    Try this one.

CRC handbook of tables for applied ... - Ray E. Bolz, George Lewis Tuve - Google Books

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could it have been a factor? [ 2 Answers ]

Who likes watching documentaries on the Titanic? I work with the history channel and Titanic's Final Moments is a new documentary that premiers tomorrow Sunday, February 26 on the History channel. They discovered some new things and the break and sink was more complex than anyone thought. You can...

X-Factor 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the title of any of the music from X-Factor?

Compressibility of Water [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was looking for some figures on the compressibility of water, and this is what I discovered: 0.46 GPa-1, c.f. CCl4 0.92 GPa-1, at 20°C. The problem is, I don't know what it means. GPa is a GigaPascall (1,000,000,000 Pascals), right? So, does this mean that water compresses by a...

View more questions Search