Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bowhunter76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Furnace won't work
    I have a Rheem upflow mid efficiency furnace with inshot burners and pilot light. It worked until last night and now when you turn it on heat or turn the temperature up the heat won't kick on. Its at 67 right now and I'm calling for 74 degrees. I've got young children in my home and its getting cold. The furnace was probably installed when the house was built in 1960 also the pilot light is lit and working.

Please help:(
    landik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter76
    i have a Rheem upflow mid efficency furnace with inshot burners and pilot light. it worked until last night and now when you turn it on heat or turn the temperature up the heat wont kick on. its at 67 right now and im calling for 74 degrees. ive got young children in my home and its getting cold. the furnace was probably installed when the house was built in 1960 also the pilot light is lit and working.

please help:(
    I believe the gas valve is gone
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve. The thermostat is wired to switch the red to the white when it calls for heat. Older furnaces had a limit switch that closes a relay turning the blower on after the furnace heats up. The transformer, limit switch, and relay may all be combined in a fan control center, or be separate parts.

Check for voltage, then for the pilot light to be on, then the gas come on, and finally if the fan doesn't start, another limit switch will shut the gas off. There is more info in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html but much of it is for newer furnaces.

Nov 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    The limit switch part was right but I figured it out before I looked at this answer

Nov 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Comment on landik's post
    Thanks for your answer. It was the limit switch not gas valve. If it wasn't the switch, I would have went to the valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Why won't it work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a acer laptop and when I try to press the question mark button this é comes up how can I make that go away so I can use the question mark:confused:

Kenmore he4 panel won't work and dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the circuit board/panel replaced once on my he4. I had only 2 weeks left on the warranty and figured it should be OK once it was fixed. They wanted another $200 to renew the warranty! Didn't have the $$ at the time. Anyway, the same darn thing is happening... you have to push the buttons...

Goodman Furnace Issue - Heater won't work, no fire [ 1 Answers ]

My Goodman heater won't fire up. When I turn the heat on, the sequence of events: 1) Small fan at top section turns on. 2) Heating element turns on, bright red. The system sounds like it is trying to turn on. 3) Then the bright red goes off. The fire does not light. The fan does not start 4)...

Comfortmaker Furnace Fan blows in line fuse and will not allow furnace to work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Comfortmaker Furnace (approximately 1998/99) and the fan will not turn on allow the furnace to heat. When I try to turn the furnace on it blows a 3 amp fuse at the blower motor. I removed the fuse and jumped it and all it will do is make a faint buzzing noise and not turn on. I can...

View more questions Search