Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linny926 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Estate account info
    My sister and I opened an estate account for my mother who passed away in June. How long do we need to keep the account open? How much do we need to keep in the account? We would like to close it by the end of the year to keep it in the same tax year.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 11:29 AM
    If the will is probated, her estate distributed, and you are positive that all of your mother's bills have been paid off (including all final medical bills), and that there are no potential creditors lurking out there, I suppose you could close it as soon as you want.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
    You keep it open as long as there may be funds to distribute from it. Once all debts of the estate are paid and all inheritances distributed there is no reason to keep it open.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open an estate account [ 7 Answers ]

My friend received a check from the insurance company payable to the estate of his grandma. The check was her grandma's part of the settlement of a car accident in November 2006. However, her grandma passed away on 3-31-07. The check needs to be deposited into her grandma's estate account. He...

Estate Account [ 2 Answers ]

My wife passed away over a year ago, and I have been negotiating with Mary Kay to have the value of my wife's Mary Kay assets returned to me. Unfortunately, they made out the check to "The Estate of" my wife. I have been advised that I need to open an Estate Account. Is this the only avenue to...

Estate Account [ 1 Answers ]

My sister passed away a few months ago and my father is trying to pay her bills, but the bank did not honor the check written on the account to pay for her residential care. My sister was mentally retarded and a ward of the state of ca, where she lived. She received social security funds and...

Estate Account [ 5 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away leaving several insurance polices, all but one named myself as the beneficiary the other named my father who passed away 8 years ago no one else was named as a second beneficiary just as children myself and brother. She left a will and named myself as sole beneficiary...

Estate account [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir to my mother's estate;opened an estate acct. My question is what do I do with the money in that acct? Can I use it to pays bills such as home owners insurance,etc.

View more questions Search