Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allieguillot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
    $12,000 owed by Tuesday!
    After 5 months of paying less than the minimum payment due a collector called my place of employment and demanded my entire payment of $12,000 in full within 2 business days. I offered to make larger monthly payments and was told that was not an option. Also, my name is the only name on this credit card and there are no other authorized users. But I was told that my husband would be notified. Is this legal? Someone please give me some advice regarding this issue and what my options are!! Is there any way out of this??
    CindyLynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Nov 11, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Seedy debt collectors will use all kinds of scare tactics to get you to pay them. Basically either you can pay them our you can't. Do not let their intimidation put you in a position of paying more than you should so that you are neglecting you basic needs such as rent, car, food, etc. As far as calling your husband, it depends on the state in which you live. Are you in a community property state? If so then your husband is equally responsible for the debt and can be called on it just like you. Otherwise it is either just a threat or would be an illegal tactic. Regardless, I do not think you should be working with this unethical person to try and work this out. I would suggest that you demand to communicate with this company by letter only. You can write a letter requesting to communicate in writing only and request they not call your work, home, or any other number they have on file for you. By law they have to stop all calls. That way any "deals" are done in writing. And your stress level will go down and you will be more protected as far as what was agreed upon also.

Good luck and don't let this snake in the grass get to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Bill collectors will tell you that you and your widowed mom will lose your home, that police will come to arrest you. Remember if their mouths are moving they are lying. Also never allow them to have your bank account numbers, many will just try an take money out no matter what the agreement was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What equals 1,000,000 [ 12 Answers ]

I have been asked this question and have absolutley NO idea on what the answer is, someone please help me! Ok here's the question. If a = 1, b = 2, z = 26, is there a word that when the values of the letters are multiplied will make a product of one million? For example, BAD = (2)(1)(4) = 8.

1.000.000 USD silvercoin certificate [ 12 Answers ]

Dear All, I have ONE MILLION face value silvercoin certificate issued 1928 with serial number B25137222 N. Does anybody know the real value of this note and how to sell it ? Here is following note I have as well, and image of both sides of this.

$12,000,000 at retirement. How? [ 1 Answers ]

If you want to have $12,000,000 at retirement. You start to deposit $40,000 per year at 12% into your retirement account. How many years will it take you to have that amount? And how do you calculate this information to get that answer?

Need Options-Michigan house worth $30,000 less than owed [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé owns a home that is worth approx $30,000 less than he owes on it, and it is in need of some major repairs such as a new roof and some electrical and cement work. We are getting married in 7 months and the home is currently too small for us to live in. I rent an apartment on a month to...

Manly Tuesday [ 4 Answers ]

A couple is lying in bed. The man says, "I am going to make you the happiest woman in the world." The woman replies, "I'll miss you..." --------------------------------- --------------- "It's just too hot to wear clothes today," Jack says as he stepped out of the shower, "honey, what...

View more questions Search