Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jus10_ramirez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 03:29 PM
    math homerwork?
    I'm doing it on the computer and well it's a quiz and I don't know anything about math?:confused:
    solve for x
    1. x-8=-20
    2. x/5=20
    the sum of eight and a number is one hundred.what is the number?

I need some help or ill fail the class
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 03:41 PM
    That looks like something that should have been covered in class.

Ask your teacher to spend more time with you and take notes if necessary.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...board-b-u.html
    cool_dude Posts: 124, Reputation: 9

Nov 10, 2007, 05:09 PM
    I do agree that it should and most likely was covered in class especially because this elementary school algebra where they would never give you homework without teaching it to you. But some students don't get it from the first time so I'll try explaining again.

so lets take a look at the first question!
    1. x-8=-20

to solve this we must isolate for x. but how you may ask. Well all you have to do is move the number 8 to the other side. But how you may ask. Well if you add 8 to the left side of the equation you get x - 8 + 8 which is equivalent to x. so there we isolated for x. but remember what you do to the left side you do to the right side so since you added 8 to the left side we must add 8 to the right side. So -20 + 8 which equals -12. To sumarize it looks like this

x - 8 + 8 = -20 + 8
    x = -12

see how easy it is!

so how would you isolate for x in the second question? In other words how can you get rid of the 5 on the left hand side?

The third question might be a little more harder for you seeing as your math skills aren't so great. But all you have to do is come up with an equation. So lets try and come up with the equation together. Lets represent a number as x because we don't know the number. But we know that when we add 8 to a number (x) then it will equal 100 so our equation looks like this:

x + 8 = 100

now you must isolate for x exactly like I showed you in example 1.
    godiva Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

Nov 10, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jus10_ramirez
    im doing it on the computer and well its a quiz and i dont know anything about math?:confused:
    solve for x
    1. x-8=-20
    2. x/5=20
    the sum of eight and a number is one hundred.what is the number?

i need some help or ill fail the class
    You just need to think in reverse. If x-8=20 then 20+8=x or 28! If x/5=20 then 20x5 is your answer(100)! If x+8=100 then 100-8=x or92 good luck
    cool_dude Posts: 124, Reputation: 9

Nov 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Hmmm that looks like it was stolen from my post. Aside from actually giving out the answers. See now most likely people will just use the answer and not care how its done and won't learn. That's why I didn't give the solutions to all the question. Try not to give out the solutions next time
    godiva Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

Nov 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_dude
    hmmm that looks like it was stolen from my post. aside from actually giving out the answers. see now most likely people will just use the answer and not care how its done and won't learn. thats why i didn't give the solutions to all the question. try not to give out the solutions next time
    I don' read responses! Besides you probably confused him even more!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Math [ 4 Answers ]

Find the number of different arrangements for the letters in the word Mississippi

Math [ 1 Answers ]

What is a proof

Help on Math [ 8 Answers ]

Please help me with the following problem. I can't figure it out. Thanks A total of 270 students are in classes a and b. 30 Students moved into class b from a and then there was twice as many students in class b. Find the original number of students in classes a and b. Off hand I would say...

Math help [ 4 Answers ]

x : x + 15 = 7:12<<<< solve for x this is properties of proportions 2x-3 is to 3 as 1 - x is to 5<<<< I have no idea p varies directly as the square of r, if p = 64, r=4, and r= 3 , find the value of p1 The volume of gas varies inversely as the pressure, if v = 100 , p= 76 , and p1= 38...

Help with math [ 2 Answers ]

1.true or false the two parallel sides of a trapezoid are called its legs? 2.true or false the point at the center of the circle may be used to name the circle? 3.true or false part of the circle may be used to name the circle? 4. true or false A line segmentr connecting any two points on a...

View more questions Search