Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrBretson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Child support hearing/paternity
    Yes, could someone familiar with child support hearings please help me out if you can... I have a hearing scheduled for the near future filed by the child's mother and I was just wondering exactly how the proceedings work. For instance, this is an out-of-state case and as I have not spoken to her in sometime will she have to appear at this hearing? Also, it states that she has attorneys from my hometown. Does anyone know why this would be... can she obtain lawyers without having to appear? I am just trying to understand and prepare myself for what will happen. There has also been a denial of paternity filed by my attorney and I was wondering if she would have been informed of this before the scheduled court date, as I was informed the judge will order a paternity test on said court date. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
    She may or may not be there, but her attorney would have to be there if she isn't. You can get an attorney from anywhere over the phone/internet or maybe her family got the attorney for her, but yes, she can live in one state and her attorney can be in another.

The attorney's know what was filed and what will happen, her attorney would have told her that you are denying you're the father. I do believe that you will be ordered to take a test and go back to court, most likely the next date will be set at that hearing; you'll have X number of days to take the test. If you know that your not the father you may want to see about taking the test so the whole matter can be concluded asap. If you are proved to be the father then the support will be back-dated to either the birth of the child or the date she filed for support, depending on you area.

The support itself is set by a guideline done by the state. They will require you to show your income, she will provide her income, the childcare expenses, and medical expenses. More often than not the NCP will be required to pay all of the medical insurance.

What state are you in? Most states have a online guideline, have you tried looking on the site for your city court or social services.
    DrBretson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Idiots.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
    All aside (from your unwarranted attacks on me)... I still can offer input if you'd like...

The court papers would not have an attorney listed if she did not have one. So you can be pretty sure that she does.

It all depends on her relationship with her attorney. If she doesn't really speak to them other than in court, she will not know of the denial of paternity until she gets into court and her attorney presents it to her.

If she continues to not show up for court, the child support hearing will be dismissed.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 13, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Macksmom is right. Her attorney will tell her everything she needs to know. I wouldn't worry about her knowing or not knowing what your doing. What does it matter anyway?

You do what the Judge says and show up and get the test done. You will go back to court and the case will be dismissed (if your not the father) or you will have to provide information and support will be set (if you are the father). If you know that you are the father before the court date then have your attorney file for visitation and custody so it can be heard at the same time as the support -- that is if you want to be a part of the child's life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2007, 12:19 PM
    I don't know what your fixation is on the mother finding out about the denial. Its really a moot point. Take the test, find out whether it is your child and proceed from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Test / Child Support / Custody [ 13 Answers ]

I got pregnant in January of 2005 by a guy I had been with for about 7 months. As soon as I said the word, he demanded I have an abortion and he was out the door. I couldn't go through with the abortion, and I had considered adoption but in the end I couldn't do that either. I had the baby 5 weeks...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Child Paternity [ 1 Answers ]

I think a child is mine from a recent relationship But she don't. Im pretty positive the child is mine. She want allow a paternity test. Can I go through the court and they make her give me a chance to see if the child is mine.

Child support and paternity in divorce case [ 1 Answers ]

A dear friend of mine who is a refugee married an American citizen from IL when she was 5 months pregnant (still living in Jordan at that time- they were married double-proxy.) The husband's name is on the son's birth record from Jordan, but after the baby was born, he abandonded the marriage. My...

Child Support and paternity [ 26 Answers ]

My husband is not the biological father of his daughter, but he signed the birth certificate. The mother of the child will not let my husband see his daughter, and has recently gone for child support. He refuses and I mean refuses to pay for her. Is there any way to do a paternity test in...

View more questions Search