Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    navik_pathak Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
    How to get 401K as a couple?
    Hi ,

I am having one confusion over investing in 401K?

My wife compay offers 401K and I don't have 401k yet.
    I was in doubt about taking benefit of 401k as couple.

As my wife puts in her contifbution she gets Tax benefit out of it. If contribute my contribution into same 401K account which she has will I get Tax Benefit from it?

Essentially is there any way we can open joint 401K account?

Thanks
    Navik
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I think there is indeed some confusion here. Your wife's 401(k) plan is hers, not yours. She contributes to it directly out of her salary. Essentially a 401(k) plan is a way for her to defer her compensation until some time in the future. You can not contribute to her plan. There is no such thing as a "joint" 401(k). Since your company doesn't offer a 401(k) plan, you should consider contributing to your own individual IRA account (either a traditional or Roth IRA).

Nov 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Good.. info...

Nov 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    I think there is indeed some confusion here. Your wife's 401(k) plan is hers, not yours. She contributes to it directly out of her salary. Essentially a 401(k) plan is a way for her to defer her compensation until some time in the future. You can not contribute to her plan. There is no such thing as a "joint" 401(k). Since your company doesn't offer a 401(k) plan, you should consider contributing to your own individual IRA account (either a traditional or Roth IRA).

Hi ebaines,

Thanks for reply...

I was thinking in regard of joint 401k account.
    And my wife has not yet opted for 401k offered by her company... she / we are planning for 401k. So I was asking if we have joint account and contributes in same account if we can...
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Again the answer is no. You can not have a joint 401(k) account. When she signs up for her 401(k) plan she will start making contributions out of her salary only. You can not contribute to her account.

Nov 9, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Again the answer is no. You can not have a joint 401(k) account. When she signs up for her 401(k) plan she will start making contributions out of her salary only. You can not contribute to her account.
    Thanks ebaines...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mixed couple [ 2 Answers ]

I am dating a japanese girl and we are about to get married, the only problem comes with her family, they don't approve of us because the color of my skin,(BROWN! Mexican and PROUD OF IT)I don't think that they are racist, I believe that they are old fashioned(I hope so) I would not care if it...

The Old Couple [ 2 Answers ]

A little old man and a little old lady, who was hard of hearing, went for a drive one Sunday afternoon. After pulling onto the freeway a policeman pulled them over. "Can I see your drivers license?" asked the policeman to the little old man. "What, what did he say?" said the little old lady. "He...

A couple of questions [ 1 Answers ]

What does this term mean? REGIS EXPIRATION/1ST & 2ND and also this 205 - Nolle Prosequi ?

Married couple [ 2 Answers ]

Can married couples live together while both are on probation

Couple in H1 and OPT [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We are a couple, one in H1, and one in OPT, what is the best way for us to file the tax? My understanding is we should file separately, one in 1040a, one in 1040nr, in order to get the OPT Exemption. Is this correct? Thank you very much.:)

View more questions Search