Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    350driver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Short sale & credit rating
    My wife and me are considering a short sale as a means of selling our home.We have had this home on the market for about 7-9 month with no real activity. So my questions are 1) I know its bad to do credit wise but how long will it effect a credit score and considering the current market in the northwest how badly would future credtitors and lenders look upon this for future housing loan needs? 2) Our house is only in my wife's name so would my good credit score be affected by the short sale or would I still be able to make financial moves for my family i.e... new loan for smaller house,cars,etc.. 3) How badly would the IRS be able to tax us on the forgiven loan amount. 4) What is the average short sale going for say we owe $316,000 what would the likely short sale offer be ball park if possible? Any knowlegable information would be greatly help thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
    The shortsale will have some effect on your credit, but no a huge one. The amount of loan balance that is forgiven will be listed as taxable income to you increasing your tax liability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short sale not accepted [ 3 Answers ]

When a short sale is not accepted what is the next best option ?

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

When a short sale is not accepted what is the next best option?

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

How long does the owner get to have the house under short sale? Is there a time frame before the lender will take it back and foreclose on the house?

Short Sale v. Foreclosure [ 4 Answers ]

I am in desperate need of advice! My husband and I bought our house in 2004 and have refinanced twice since then, due to medical bills, job loss, etc. My husband got taken for a real ride with this last refi he signed. We are currently in a negative am adding $2000 a month to our loan... we need...

FHA short sale [ 4 Answers ]

I sold my house over 4 years ago via a short sale because I had been laid off and could no longer afford to pay my monthly mortgage. I received a letter in the mail yesterday, Feb 22, 2007, from HUD saying that I owed them $4900. I can only assume that this is from the property that was sold 01/03,...

View more questions Search