Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soutsider Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Cast Iron / Copper transition - hub 'n spigot - Compression gasket
    Ladies 'n gentlemen,

Good afternoon to all,

1/ Is there a "duel-tite", or similar, compression gasket designed specifically for the transition from ground work (hub 'n spigot, cast iron) to the rough-in (copper, dwv) ?

2/ What is the copper-side of the transition? (2" male adaptor?, 2" dwv pipe? or?? )

In advance, thanks for your assistance

soutsider
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by soutsider
    Ladies 'n gentlemen,

Good afternoon to all,

1/ Is there a "duel-tite", or similar, compression gasket designed specifically for the transition from ground work (hub 'n spigot, cast iron) to the rough-in (copper, dwv) ?

2/ What is the copper-side of the transition? (2" male adaptor?, 2" dwv pipe?, or ???)

In advance, thanks for your assistance

soutsider
    I've never come across a 'dual-tite' gasket for transitioning cast iron to copper, that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I've never heard of one.

When I want to transition between the two, I generally use a 'CK**' shielded coupling.

CK115 for 1-1/2"

CK22 for 2"

CK33 for 3"

CK44 for 4"

And a CK43 for transitions from 4" cast iron to 3" copper.

But those all go on the spigot end of the cast iron pipe, not the hub.

Check your phone book to see if there is a Ferguson's in your area, if there is, call and ask if they sell a Tyler Pipe 'Tye' seal for joining the two.
    soutsider Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Thank you for your response.

Since I posted my question, I contacted a product guy with Tyler Pipe / TExas. Yopu are right, they do not make a gasket for the application noted.

FYI: The (nom.) 2" gasket is designed to accept a 2.30" O.D. pipe / fitting. The tolerance is plus / minus .09" (range: 2.21 - 2.39). 2" copper (regardless of type) is 2.125"; too "skinny".

Your response has me thinking that I will come out w/ 2" C.I. using a standard 2" gasket, then transition with a no-hub coupler as you suggest.

Thanks for your assistance.

soutsider

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sealing with cast iron hub donut? [ 10 Answers ]

Following the sage advice found on this site in other postings, I managed to remove the misshapen, rusted waste pipe that went from my downstairs toilet to the horizontal main line (cast iron). So now I have a cleaned out bell and test fitted a neoprene donut from Lowe's (4" to 3") and plan on...

Separating a cast iron hub & spigot joint [ 1 Answers ]

Title says it all. I've done a comple gut on a 120 year old bathroom. The cast iron closet flange is broken (and quite gnarly) It connects into a "t" in the vent stack. How do I remove the offending iron flange? I believe it is sealed with the old school molten lead. Huge thanks to any...

Best way to stub out from a threaded cast iron hub? [ 2 Answers ]

I just (painfully) removed a chrome pipe + solder bushing from a cast iron hub. I bought a Desanco fitting to transition between the cast iron and a chromed brass tailpipe (this is for a wall-hung lav). The problem is that the hub (I don't know if that's even the right word for threaded cast...

Joining hub and spigot with no-hub cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

HELLO GUYS, I have a question I hope you could help me. I have an old piping, CAST IRON hub and spigot. It is installed underground with the bell portion protruding for insertion of the soil stack. I would like to use no-hub cast iron pipes for the upper part of my house. Can I easily insert the...

Join 4" PVC to Cast Iron Hub [ 2 Answers ]

I am re-routing the main sewer line that goes through the basement/crawl space of my 70+ year old house. Simply put, there are too many re-plumbs, new lines, and/or patches by previous generations. In the next months, a new kitchen and bathroom downstairs are going to cut into this patchwork 2...

View more questions Search