Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WickedScepter Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 10:09 AM
    "Normal" relationship.
    My roommate is going through a really bad breakup. She's 37.

He was divorced, two children, bitter ex wife, spends time between two cities, one in the us, on in mexico, both 1k miles away, just starting a new business and NOT making any money, plus here's the kicker, had a vasectomy, she's desperate to have her own children. Apparently he's very jealous and petty, this I learn after the breakup.

Red flags mean nothing to her. She's never had a serious boyfriend for any length of time, this one lasted about 5 months and she was talking marriage, moving and even sent out an email proudly announcing that she had the right to call his kids her "stepsons".

She dumps all her friends, puts on the blinders and transforms herself into what she thinks the particular man wants. The last guy was a pseudo hippie, so she started her pottery classes and smoked a lot of dope. I think she's willing to settle for any man who pays attention to her. Another friend has dubbed it "INSERT MAN HERE" syndrome.

I truly feel for her broken heart, but sort of feel she is setting herself up for failure. Not that I'm the beacon for all things that work in relationships, but I like to think that I've learned some lessons.

Now with that all in mind...
    What constitutes a NORMAL relationship? Remember she's 37.
    Living with someone?
    Dating someone for more than a year?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:44 PM
    She needs to look for a man with a person LIKE her, not a person she will change to be like. That's not a relationship, that's trying to please someone so they like her, she needs to be herself, that will make her happiest.
    WickedScepter Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 12:45 PM
    I totally agree, but how do you descibe "normal" to someone?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
    I think that a normal person and a normal relationship would be that the people like and enjoy the same things, and they get along, that's normal. There's no standard, they just have to actually be compatible, with her being herself, not changing for the other person.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Nov 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
    You can't describe normal to anyone because what may be normal behavior for you may not be for that person. The only thing you can really do is be honest with your friend about how you feel, show her a lot of support and be there when she needs it. But she is 37 and may be stubborn, it won't be easy but just continue to be supportive, and perhaps, you can even suggest or help her find a "normal" date..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend broke off relationship because she "has never been single" [ 23 Answers ]

I began dating a divorcée about a year and a half ago. She was coming off some unusual circumstances. Her boyfriend had contracted cancer when they were dating - and she left nursing school to be at his side until he came back to health. He lived. They got married. They had children and later he...

"Normal" wear and tear [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that in Washington state, a landlord must replace the carpeting every 5 years. I know that he bought this property 5 years ago. The carpet was stained and smelly when I moved in. We did not write anything about its condition on our contract. I suspect that he will charge us for...

Any other women out there get criticized for being "the man" in the relationship? [ 1 Answers ]

I posted before how my current BF thinks I'm not affectionate enough. The funny thing is, one of my friends brought up, when I was explaining everything to her, that it sounds like I am "the man" and he is "the woman". I don't agree with a 1950s stereotype of who does what, but I was wondering...

How many missed periods are "normal"? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter had her first period in June and a second one in July. Since then she has not had any more periods. I have read where teens can miss some periods the first year or two of menarche. However, I have not been able to find out how many consecutive missed periods would be considered...

Want to end first "relationship" after divorce - worried about kids [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 33 year old mom of three kids, 7 yo twins and an 8 yo. We moved to a new state after going through a very difficult year-long divorce from their father (we were married for 13 years) I started dating someone I'd been communicating with on line for about 3 months and met after he moved...

View more questions Search