Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slovell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Water hammer effect
    When I flush the toilet, after the tank fills, there is a loud shut off knocking sound. This happens in both bathrooms. Also, both toilets ghost flush during the night several times--first in my bathroom and then a minute later in the main bathroom. What can I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 09:51 AM
    The noise you describe is water hammer due to the abrupt shut of the ballcock. It can be eliminated by adding a screw on anti hammer device like those sold by Sioux. What is a ghost flush?

Sioux Chief Plumbing Parts & Accessories
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 10:20 AM
    I can't figure out anything that would flush a toilet automatically during the night, but I's like to ask a question:

1) Is this a pressure assist toilet2 Plastic tank inside tank.

And I have a suggestion in addition to bb's.

What's the house water pressure?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it water hammer? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plumbing problem and I have read about water hammer. From what I have read, it seems to happen when you turn the water OFF, but I have the hammering problem when I turn the shower ON. I recently moved into a basement apartment in a home that is about 10 years old. The last 2 nights...

Water hammer [ 2 Answers ]

How do I fix the problem "water hammer"

Water hammer [ 1 Answers ]

What causes water lines to vibrate when no water is being used, taps not being used? It started 2 years ago, only when upstairs bath tub was being used, two days ago it started and vibrates 5 to 7 times an hour.. We may have a water leak behind the bar wall Will take down wall next week.

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

View more questions Search