Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Faborgirl Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Nov 8, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Acting suggestions. Anyone got Any?
    Ive been interested in acting for the longest time. Its always been a dream of mine. As of recently, Ive started taken acting classes; I guess I was tired of waiting around for my dreams to come true, I had to do it myself. The problem is is that I am new to this biz. I honestly, know close to nothing about acting, theater, scripts, stages, or any other jazz that has much to do with acting. I wish I had someone to ask this about, but none of my friends are into acting, and my family is just as clueless in this area. If you know any tips, or suggestions that might help me out, it would be greeaaaatlyy appreciated. Thanks.
    -faborgirl
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Hello, Faborgirl!

I have been in over 40 musical theater productions, either on stage as an actor or in the orchestra for the shows. If you would like to ask questions, now might be a good time to ask them, if you would like.

What are some questions that you might have, please?

Nov 8, 2007, 11:54 PM
    Okay, it is obvious you have a lot of background with theater, so I believe you can help me. If I wanted to get seriously into acting, (other than my classes), how else might I get involed? Is there anything I can do, or just wait for some luck to come my way.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get involved with theater?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Please hold. Am working on answers. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:02 AM
    To answer your second question first, I play a number of musical instruments. Most of the instruments that I play are those that would be used in the orchestras for musicals. That was my first experience with getting involved with the theater.

How I became involved as an actor, was because I also sing. Because one of the instruments that I play is the piano, I had many opportunities to accompany singers who were in shows. I was invited by some of the singers whom I accompanied, to be in shows. That is how I first got into acting, outside of school. When I was in college, one of the musical groups that I was in was the choir. I tried out for acting parts as a result of being in the choir.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Faborgirl
    Okay, it is obvious you have alot of background with theater, so I believe you can help me. If I wanted to get seriously into acting, (other than my classes), how else might I get involed? Is there anything I can do, or just wait for some luck to come my way.

If you dont mind my asking, how did you get involved with theater?
    Community musical theater or community theaters that just do plays are a great way to first get involved in musicals and plays.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Are you currently in school?

Nov 9, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Yes, Im in grade 11.
    I've never realized how strongly music can tie into theater. I am very involved with music-I play 3 instruments, (oboe, clarinet, and piano). I am most serious with the piano.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Yes, music ties directly into theater. The fact that you already play the piano is a plus.

Do you play oboe and clarinet in band?

Sorry, if you view something and then I edit it. Some ideas come later. But, I will try to keep things consistent.

Nov 9, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Its quite all right, I can be the same way.
    I played both clarinet and oboe in band. I played the clarinet for four years in band, but my band teacher wanted to challenge me with a more difficult instrument, and offered me the oboe. This is my second year with the oboe. The piano however Ive been playing since I was seven years old.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Now I can see that you are back on. I was worried that you had left for the night.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Its quite alright, I can be the same way.
    I played both clarinet and oboe in band. I played the clarinet for four years in band, but my band teacher wanted to challenge me with a more difficult instrument, and offered me the oboe. This is my second year with the oboe. The piano however Ive been playing since I was seven years old.
    Do you realize that playing the oboe can be your "ticket" into college?

Nov 9, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Sorry, I had to restart my computer.
    What do you mean my "ticket"?
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:45 AM
    That's okay.

What I mean is, that schools that have concert bands, and also band directors in general, are always on the lookout for good oboe players, as they are so hard to find. They also look for bassonists, French Horn and tuba players.

If you play one of those instruments, it can be very helpful to you getting a scholarship into college if you are going to play in the band. That's what I meant by "ticket." They will want you to come to their school because you play one of those instruments.

Do you live in the U.S.

Nov 9, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Well that's exciting! What's also working on my side is the fact that I'm the only oboe player in my band.
    No, no I don't live in the U.S.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:52 AM
    Well thats exciting! Whats also working on my side is the fact that im the only oboe player in my band.
    No, no I dont live in the U.S.
    Ah, I was hoping that you didn't live in the U.S. because it's 1:50 a.m. in the morning here. And, if you had to get up to go to school tomorrow, this would be really too late for you!

Do you sing in the chorus or choir at school? If so, what part?

I have to ask a bunch of questions, by-the-way, in order to know more about what you know and to help you with how you will get into and be successful at acting.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:54 AM
    Just for your information, the oboe is the only instrument in the band that adds the 7th harmonic to the music. It is a very important instrument. Without it, the music can sound rather dull.

Nov 9, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Thanks for the concern. Actually, where I live is just north of you, in Canada, and it is 1:00here. No worries though, for I do not have school tomorrow due to report card interviews. I am getting a bit sleepy however, I might have to pack it in soon.

Unfortunately, I can not song, or at least I have had no personal training with my voice, so needless to say, I am not in choir.

I don't mind these questions. If anything, I feel honored that your taking such an interest in helping me.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 01:12 AM
    Well, I really would like to help you! :) I rarely find people on this site who are into the same things that I am. What you have posted about, is exactly up my alley!

We can continue later if you would like. I am going to be gone Friday, Saturday and Sunday until the later evening, because I am playing a gig in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

I will be back on here later Sunday night. Maybe we could coordinate a time?

Are you in Western Canada?

Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 AM
    All right, sounds good. Im busy in the early evening on Sunday, but I will be free from around 7:00 on. Yes, I do live in Western Canada, and my computer tells me that you live in Illinois. Do you know the time difference by any chance?

I think it is great that we met. Its excited that someone so experienced is helping me out. It... well, it gives me hope:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Acting [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me. At the moment I'm studying computers but for the last 4-5 months I have been really interested in becoming an actor. Where I live there isn't many acting classes, I don't no what to do. How do I get into the business? I have no experience in...

Acting! [ 4 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I am very, very interested in becoming involved in community theatre here in chicago. I currently live in chicago and have just completed a year's worth of acting classes at a local theatre school. Simply, I want to start performing. I want to really experience the...

Thinking and Acting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I read a quote from Bruce Lee who has, in my opinion, interesting quotes he created and borrowed from philosophy he read. If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. A short quote yet very interesting. I think it's true since I observe some fears in...

Any suggestions on how to get my 48 year old husband to stop acting like he's 3? [ 10 Answers ]

Here's my situation: I've been married to a man whom I love very deeply, but who makes me crazy with his infantile behavior when it comes to sex. This past three weeks are a prime example of this... On December 22nd, I drove to the college our son attends (some 200 miles one way from...

TV acting weird! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Samsung 27 in TV that is about 4.5 yrs old. Recently the screen has been fading to black (w/ sound still on) right after I turn it on and a minute or two later, the picture comes back and it's fine. If I turn it off for a little while and turn it back on the same thing happens. I know you...

View more questions Search