Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zamboni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Do you have to be summond to court for child support. Or custody ?
    In the past two months I have lost custody of my son and now they want support payments.
    ALL WITHOUT ME KNOWING.
    I have not received anything in the mail and no summons for this.
    My ex told me court is next week.
    I don't know what to do.
    I am willing to pay the support but I am mad they did this all behind my back.
    I am in ontario canada.
    I have searched every where on the internet and cannot find this answer
    PLEASE HELP
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 10:14 PM
    You should have been contacted about your child's custody.

Have you actively supported and participated in your child's life since you were seperated/divorced?

I personally know nothing about Canadian laws for this, but in the states, if support has been deemed necessary, and you don't provide what the court asked you to do, and you aren't the custodial parent, then you can be called in on it... often the custodial parent will receive support, in addition to the child support.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 10:15 PM
    How did you lose custody?

If you lost custody, then they automatically start seeking child support payments on behalf of the custodial parent, I think.
    zamboni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 10:25 PM
    I See My Child Once A Month And Have Been Part Of It The Whole 12 Years .
    I read that next week Will Be A Hearing And Then They Will Send Out The Application For Support To Me ,then I Will Have 30 Days To Reply With My Financial Information.(I Hope This Is Right).then They Will Have A Judgement.
    They Cannot Make Me Pay A Support Amount If They Do Not Know My Income.
    Im Soo Mad They Can Do All This Behind My Back.to Give Custody To My Ex Without Me Knowing-no Letter-no Summons Or Anything. The Thing Is My Ex Is On Welfare So It's the Government Doing All This.but As I Said... I Don't Mind Paying Its How Sneeky They Are Being.
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 9, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni
    They Cannot Make Me Pay A Support Amount If They Do Not Know My Income.
    Im Soo Mad They Can Do All This Behind My Back.to Give Custody To My Ex Without Me Knowing-no Letter-no Summons Or Anything. The Thing Is My Ex Is On Welfare So Its The Government Doing All This.but As I Said...i Dont Mind Paying Its How Sneeky They Are Being.
    I don't know about Canada, but in the Missouri, USA they CAN order support without your income. It is in your favor to provide your information usually. However, they have a default formula to use when the non-custodial parent's income is unknown. If the child support agency is the one seeking child support on behalf of the mother because she is receiving help from the government... they do not contact the non custodial parent here. Often, they do not even contact the custodial parent until after they have the child support order and they receive a copy at the same time the other parent does. After the order is placed, the non custodial parent has so long to contest.

As for custody, just because they are ordering support, doesn't mean that they have decided custody. The government doesn't usually seek custody on behalf of either parent just because they are receiving aid.

Perhaps are you getting confused on the custody because the papers from the child support hearing says "custodial parent" and "noncustodial parent"? The child support papers will say that even if custody has never been decided. Simply a way for them to know who the child is living with and who should be paying support.

Were you served with a court order giving her custody?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2007, 06:44 AM
    I'm sorry but something doesn't sound right here. In your response you said; "I See My Child Once A Month And Have Been Part Of It The Whole 12 Years". This indicates to me that you did not have full custody but had joint custody with visitation. So why do you think you lost custody? There are two forms of custody, legal and physical. Legal custody means that you have a say in the child's upbringing. Physical custody means the child lives with you a signifcant part of the time. Physical custody usually is full time with the other parent having visitation.

So I can't understand, if you have physical custody, how your spouse or anyone can just take the child from you. There is either something you aren't saying or something else is going on.

As for Child support, if the child is 12 and you haven't been providing support until now, why not?

You really need to explain this more fully so we can understand how to advise you. Either that or hire an attorney to represent you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support/Custody [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I'm from Nova Scotia . Canada and looking for some answers to questions if anyone has any for me , it would be muchly apperciated... Ok here goes , approx 5 yrs ago I started living with a man that has 2 children from a previous relationship , they went to court to settle on child support...

Custody VS Child Support [ 35 Answers ]

I would like some opinions on my situation and what I should do. The father of my daughter has never seen her, nor expressed any desire to do so. There was a paternity question but after the other person was excluded there was no doubt. He was informed and I offered every possible way to get...

Custody And Child Support [ 1 Answers ]

I have a few questions about filing for Child Support and about Custody and such. But first, I want to fill you in on what's happened in the last 3 1/2 years. I have two kids.. one is 5 and the other is 3 1/2. My 3 1/2 year old is the one I'm talking about today. His father is the kind of dad who...

Child support/custody [ 7 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter which is stipulated in my divorce and now she went to live with her dad at 18 because she did not like my house rules can he legally take me for child support? And can the courts have me pay back order from the time she left till present? We are in NYC.

Summond to court for a past credit card [ 1 Answers ]

I got a paper in the mail last week saying I was summond to courte for a past credit card it is for 1,300 plus courte cost and fees.. I have no way of paying this I am laid if of work right now and only make 200.00 in unemployment every 2 weeks.. I live in Illinois I was just wondering what they...

View more questions Search