Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scribb Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Inducer starts, but blower/furnace never fire
    My furnace suddenly stopped working today. The thermostat triggers properly, and the inducer fan starts running, but furnace never fires and the blower doesn't come on. If I turn the blower on manually at the thermostat, it runs fine.

The furnace is an older Payne/Carrier natural gas/forced air unit. Maybe about 15 years old? Any ideas?

Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Pressure switch feed line plugged
    Pressure switch defective
    Bad glow coil/ignitor/spark system
    Open limit control
    Defective draft inducer end switch if so equipted.
    Bad board if so equipped.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
    What you need to do is to go to the sequence of operations in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html
    Identify the last operation, and then check the sensor.

Nov 9, 2007, 04:37 PM
    I'm getting to the point in the sequence of operations where the pilot ignites, but the main gas valve doesn't open. Would the most likely culprit be the flame sensor? Is there an easy/safe way to check the flame sensor?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
    You can try cleaning the flame sensor with snad paper or steel wood.

Nov 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Is it possible the flame sensor is integrated with the igniter? There's a little integrated unit into which the pilot gas line connects, with the igniter wire on top (I can see it spark), and a switch of some kind on the bottom with three leads. One lead comes from the pressure switch. One lead goes to the main gas valve. One lead goes to an ignitor terminal (ground?). But I can't see anything else that looks like a standard flame sensor. I followed every wire and thoroughly scoped out the logical places where a flame sensor would be.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Woohoo. Fixed it!

The problem was a dirty pilot burner. There was something in the gas tube (dead spider?) that was making the pilot flame too weak to trip the integrated sensor (there is no separate flame sensor. I took it apart, cleaned it, reinstalled it, and now I have heat and my family loves me. Thanks for the troubleshooting help. The image below is the pilot burner, in case anyone else runs into this problem with an old Payne Carrier forced air natural gas furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace inducer motor [ 5 Answers ]

What are the implications of a furnace inducer motor drawing high Amps?

When AC Starts Furnace Fan Shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Clare OLB 503RD Furnace with Coleman Central Air Unit. The AC Unit comes on outside and the furnace fan shuts down. AC freezes up. Is there a relay or motor control on the fan that has failed

Inducer motor starts running, but ignition never starts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Payne Gas forced air furnace, and it's behavior has changed in the last couple of days, where it never gets past the Inducer motor cycle. When we turn on the thermostat (or even jumper across the "R" and "W" leads on the furnace controller) the inducer motor starts running and keeps...

Only in AM, gas furnace stops and starts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a Gaffers-Sattler furnace, about 40 years old. Runs great, but for one problem. In the morning around 5 or 6, I turn on furnace and it will heat up and run for about 5 to 6 minutes then stop for about 3 minutes and repeat this all morning long. (frustration as this is when its...

Honeywell RTH230B - furnace starts often [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced my old mercury tilt thermostat with a programmable (5/2) Honeywell RTH230B digital unit. I didn't have too much problem with the install - to a 2 wire forced air oil furnace - however I find the furnace cycling through start and stop much more than usual,to the point to...

View more questions Search