Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
    "Globalization." what is it
    First, what is it and is it good or bad, and for whom? Is there a need to balance free trade and domestic protectionism?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:33 PM
    If what it means is not clearly evident, then it is probably not something we should endorse :)
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    If what it means is not clearly evident, then it is probably not something we should endorse :)
    It seems to me it’s happening whether it is endorsed or not; so I’m simply trying to understand it.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Conspiracy Theory.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Hello:

Globalization is the natural progression of mankind. It isn't good or bad any more than "industrialization" is good or bad. It just is. Whether it's good or bad for YOU, depends on which side of the coin you're on.

The haves, of course, want to erect protectionist barriers. Is there a "need" to do that? Well, if you're one of the haves I spose it is. But, not if you're a have not.

A better question would be, do trade barriers work? I would reply that as long as there are a billion Chinese willing to work for $1.00/day, the answer is no.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 06:11 AM
    I think the interconnectedness of the concept of globalization is desirable with caveats . The most common way to unite groups of people is to subjugate them . If the global world was forged under the enlightenment principles that guided the American Founding Fathers then proceed full steam ahead . More likely is that a lot will be sacrificed for the good of the collective. Too many of the institutions of the globalization process is in the hands of unaccountable unelected bureaucrats and NGOs

I doubt that it is the natural progression of mankind. When empires and some nation states crumble it appears to me that more often humans have retreated to the sanctity of the tribe. It appears to me that objections to cultural globalization fuels a lot of the anti-globalization movement .

Even in Europe where an extensive effort has been made to create a larger continental identity they have yet to come to terms with all the compromises it takes to create a larger union. The last attempt to move beyond a common currency to a larger political union bogged down over the constitution that was proposed . When the EU collapses there will still be France Germany England etc. Even Great Britain is beginning to dissolve into smaller ethnic units .

Economic globalization is hardly free trade. It is a complex set of agreements and rules between trading partners . They are mutually beneficial for a short period ,and then if they are not renegotiated they will inevitably collapse .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I doubt that it is the natural progression of mankind. Economic globalization is hardly free trade. It is a complex set of agreements and rules between trading partners .
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Ron Paul of course is vehemently opposed to globalization and treaties like NAFTA ;CAFTA ,and wants to withdraw from WTO .
    Hello again, tom:

Ron Paul isn't the end all and be all. I'm sure there were people who were “opposed” to industrialization too. I'm even sure that they tried to stop it with complex agreements between trading partners.

But they couldn't, because industrialization wasn't a political event. It was a social event. It was going to happen no matter what. There wasn't a law that would have stopped it, the complex agreements didn't stop it, and there wasn't a political movement that could have stopped it either, because it was not a controlled event. It was a natural event.

Globalization is a social event. It's people becoming connected with other people ALL over the world WITHOUT the governments involvement. Trade results - sometimes within the framework of governmental intuitions and agreements, and sometimes not. The tool you're viewing my post on is the major culprit.

Have these institutions and agreements stopped drugs from entering our country? Poison toys? Bad prescription drugs? Terrorists? Knock off clothing? Illegal immigrants?? Have they kept our jobs here?

No to all the above.

Of course globalization pisses governments off. With worldwide interconnectivity, governments, their policies, their AGREEMENTS, and most importantly their BORDERS are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

It's happening everywhere, and it ain't going to be stopped.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search