Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hhalzate Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Attempting to become history teacher
    I am 26 yrs old and decided I am going to follow my dream to one day be a history teacher (middle school, high school, and eventually college). I am currently taking college courses in Latin and Greek in order to be accepted into a graduate program in ancient history. My question is, once I have a Master's will this be enough for me to receive a good job in teaching and how much does a history teacher make ( public or private) in the Tri-State area, especially NYC?
    NavyBlue1984 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Teachers make very good money in general, and a masters is more than enough to get you a great teaching job. I can't tell you an exact salary because it varies from school to school, but it is probably more than substantial, seeing as you have your masters.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Besides your masters, you will need to be certified for teaching in the tri-state area. If you don't mind teaching in NYC, especially lower income areas, the NYC Dept of Education is offering incentives.

Starting salaries are not that great, I think you can expect high 20s or low 30s to start. However, as you gain seniority the pay becomes much more competitive. Benefits are very good though.
    jasmine_rezzag Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Dec 6, 2007, 01:33 AM
    I am great to know there is someone love history and want to to be a history teacher causei love history too! But I think if you really love your job(you said it is your dream),then no need to pay much attention to paying unless this job can't give you enough breads for living!if not,you can't focus on your job!and then you and your students won't be satisfied with your job! That is no good as education is very important!
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Having a Master's Degree is required in New York State, so you're on the right track. You'll make more money with your Master's than you will without it for sure. Your starting salary depends on district and their financial situation. I've found that social studies/history is one of the toughest areas to get a job. There are a lot of candidates certified in social studies, at least in Upstate/Western New York, where I am. Not sure about downstate. NYC does offer incentives to teach in high-need areas. Not sure if social studies will fall into that or not, but they do need teachers there.

I did the same thing you're doing when I was 28. I've been teaching for 5 years and love it. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 07:47 PM
    I will question having to have a masters degree to teach in grade or high school, I have read the NY teachers license requirement and that does not seem to be the case, plus they allow teachers from outside that have a teachers license to come in and apply for a NY license.

I do understand it would be needed for college level teaching, but I believe you may be mistaken as for as required to teach in the lower grades.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2008, 08:02 PM
    You don't need a Masters to teach in NYS, but you have to get a Masters within a certain time frame to keep your job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Thanks Scott, I went to their web site and it showed how teachers in other states can transfer in, even how people in certain indursty there were special programs for them to become teachers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attempting To Live With A Felony [ 14 Answers ]

I am currently stuck in a hole job working the front desk for a hotel. I enjoy working in customer service and have 2 years at this job, so I have the experience. The problem is my felony is only 2-3 years old, and when I applied at another hotel chain the corporate office said it needs to be 7...

What should I do- Harrasment/Assult/attempting theft [ 16 Answers ]

So today walking out of school (10th grade) and these 3 black girls were behind me. One of them pulls my bag, and I turn around she says "why you looking at me like I did it" and her friend said something rude so I was like whatever, and turned around. Then one of them punched me in my back...

Felony for attempting to possess a controlled substance [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Florida can you be bonded if you have a felony for attempting to possess a control substance with fraud

Computer Freezes when attempting log on [ 2 Answers ]

The issue is with an office computer with Windows XP. All computers are networked. This one computer has been fine up to yesterday. It would first freeze at the boot screen. I restored factory settings and it now makes it all the way to the log in screen. When u press ctrl-alt-delete to log in, it...

View more questions Search