Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Biggitybakes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Refinance Income Property/Tax Implications
    I purchased a 12 unit apartment building in Los Angeles for 1.25M in 2005. Subsequently, I spend 100K in legal expenses, labor and materials to improve the overall income and value of the building. Currently, I am working on a refinance to pull out approximately 300K in equity to complete the renovations. The appraisal came back at 1.8M. I am working on a 70% LTV which would allow me to pull out between 350K and 400K. I plan to finish the rehab, rent the units and turn around and sell the building. My question is this: When I sell the building, am I liable to pay taxes on the equity I pulled out of the building during the refinance? I have not decided whether I will perform a 1031 exchange. How will this affect a 1031?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 9, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Pulling EQUITY is not a taxable event; however, you need to have an attorney advise you on how to effect a 1031 STARKER tax-free exchange if you don't want to pay capital gains on the INCREASE in selling price over purchase price and costs of improvements... if you don't EXCHANGE into another "like kind" property, you will owe capital gains on any monies earned.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2007, 07:16 AM
    I find it hard to imagine someone working on transactions like this without a CPA on retainer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the US tax implications of an L1 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

My company is applying for an L1 visa for me (the first time my company has done this) so that I can come and go to the US intermetently for the next 2 years to work on a project. I will continue to be resident outside the USA and all of my remuneration will be outside the USA. Do I continue...

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

Tax implications of 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

My son has had a paper route for the past 2 years and the income has always reported on his SSN as 1099 income. The newpaper company is changing policies and will no longer hire minors. If I put the route in my name and receive a 1099 for the income and the issue a 1099 to my son paying him the...

View more questions Search