Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willobug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2004, 03:12 PM
    Need "broadcast-quality" voice-recording device
    Actually I don't plan to broadcast, but I do plan to interview people and put the resulting audio on a CD, and I'd like it to sound as good as possible on a low budget.

I've got a laptop and a microphone, which sounds OK, but I'm looking for something a *lot* more portable. Something easy to carry around in a coat pocket so that if impromptu interview situations present themselves, I have a device ready to go.

I've tried a couple of inexpensive voice recorders, but the sound quality through the built-in microphones isn't something I'd want to hear on a CD.

After all this build-up, here's my question:

Is there a portable recording device that...

* has a microphone jack
    * delivers good sound quality (something you wouldn't be embarrassed to use on an audio CD or as voiceover on a DVD)
    * records in a digital format so that it's a simple matter to get the data into the computer via USB

... and costs under $200?

I've heard good things about the Archos jukebox, but then I read reviews that say the newer models lack microphone jacks.

Also, I'm wondering about lavalier microphones. (Saw one at Circuit City for about $30.) The size is right, but am wondering about the quality. Also, are there microphones that, if they're sitting just inches away from someone speaking, are good at picking up only the person's voice and not background and infrastructure noise?

When it comes to audio/video stuff, I'm pretty much a novice, so any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks
    L.
    Beach Bum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2004, 09:42 PM
    I have the same question
    Have you received an answer to your question? I have the same question and would like to have an answer. If you have discovered a recording device that meets your criteria, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Wendy
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jun 30, 2005, 09:29 AM
    Recording
    There are small handheld digital recorders, almost like the mini-tape recorders, except they are digital. I don't think they are too expensive anymore. Find one with a microphone jack input, and find a microphone to work with it.

I broadcast on the Internet, so I have a variety of microphones, but I found a simple Radioshack $24.99 lavalier microphone works great for a video interview for me, with pretty good sound quality. It's not "super sensitive" so don't expect to pick up a group of people, but it works great for one person and doesn't pick up too much background noise. Hope this works for you. Good luck.

Zach
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2005, 09:52 AM
    People at work here use this: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...lVoiceRecorder

Seems to work nicely.
    McLaren Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Hi-MD
    Personally I have had great succes with the Sony Hi-MD line of MiniDisc players. They use a 1 Gig MiniDisc as opposed to the traditional 170Mb discs. What this means to a person who wants good sounds quality is that even if you select the highest possible sound quality setting (CD quality) you will still be able to fit hours of audio on one disc. Hi-MD discs run for just under 10 bucks a piece here in Canada, and the players range anywhere from 150 to 350'ish. Just make sure it has a Mic Jack. Oh and as for a good quality Mic, with Sennheiser you really can't go wrong, very high quality German Mic's and Headphones. I love em;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Headphone and Mic for broadcast quality [ 7 Answers ]

I'm looking for a headphone and mic combo that plugs into my PC that will give me broadcast quality. I use one now with my sound card, but it sounds tinney and not rich tones. Can you recommend such a headphone with mic combo. I will be putting my speaking programs on video using a video...

View more questions Search