Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ThaneMC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 11:44 PM
    Formatted C and now no signal!
    Hi

The problem probably begins with the fact that I am no PC guru but I already know that (and you will to after reading this) so here's what happened...

I wanted to reinstall Windows XP so stupidly I thought why not format my C - that has the OS on it - so that all the junk will be cleaned so my computer will run even smoother. Well I tried to do just that - format C - and it came up with the message format could not be completed. So I restarted. Since then when I turn on my PC all I get on the monitor is the "no signal" message exactly the same message that comes up when the PC is off. While it would seem that I have completely f***ed my new motherboard, RAM and Graphics card - my computer - all the lights on my PC flash per normal as if its all running smooth. WHAT THE HELL!! PLEASE HELP!!

NB: Since getting the new stuf for the PC I have reinstalled and had no problems it is since formatting C that Ive been having this problem

CHEERS
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 18, 2005, 02:06 AM
    Ok it's hardly surpriseing that you are getting a no signal error as you have wiped your hard drive!

Boot to your windows XP cd and do a reinstall.

For future reference the best, and should be only, way to format you XP setup is from booting to the XP cd as it does this as part of the build process.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2005, 02:58 AM
    I don't know Ben. Surely even if you wipe your C drive you still get the BIOS posts etc.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2005, 05:40 AM
    Install XP
    Hi,
    Here is a very good link, with step-by-step instructions on how to completely install XP. You can skip all the steps about checking for compatibility, since your hard drive has nothing on it.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...2october07.asp

I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No signal on startup? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my problem is this: When I turn on my computer, everything seems normal for a sec or two, but when the display is supposed to react and go from hypernation into active, it doesn't. I have searched the threads to look for a solution, but as I get no signal, I can't even go to the BIOS or...

No Monitor Signal [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All...

No Signal [ 3 Answers ]

Just built a new system. Pretty sure most of the specs are irrelevant except that you should know it's onboard video. So far the best I can come up with is that it's a faulty motherboard. Basically what happens is... nothing. I hook everything up, power up the computer and... nothing. Nothing...

Installing win95 on a re-formatted HD [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so here's the problem: I just got an HD from a friend, it's an OLD one and I just completely reformatted it. I want to install Windows 95 on it, I have the disk and everything, but I can't install because it says it can't install under NT (I have XP). I want to install 95 on the HD I just got,...

Properly formatted emails [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, What determines a valid (or invalid) email address? I'm writing a script which can determine whether the formatting is correct or not. For example, you need an "@" sign, a ".", etc. You can't have spaces or backslashes in an email, etc. Does someone have a complete list of rules? ...

View more questions Search