Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niteowlgirl72 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2007, 02:07 AM
    My toilet is too close to the wall
    The people who built my house put the drain hole for my toilet too close to the wall. It is at a 11 1/2" So it is so close that it molds behind it and I cannot clean behind it..
    Should I buy a new toilet to put some space between the wall and toilet or just leave it the way it is?

I suppose I cannot move the drain at all? I am like a total amateur to all this house repair stuff so pardon my not knowing the proper names of things.:confused:
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 03:41 AM
    I am not a plumber but it seems to me you have to move the wall if you want to keep the same toilet . Or you can get a toilet for a 10 " rough in . There are plenty available .

10 Rough Elongated Toilet - Home Improvement - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by niteowlgirl72
    The people who built my house put the drain hole for my toilet too close to the wall. It is at a 11 1/2" So it is so close that it molds behind it and I cannot clean behind it..
    Should I buy a new toilet to put some space between the wall and toilet or just leave it the way it is?

I suppose I cannot move the the drain at all?? I am like a total amateur to all this house repair stuff so pardon my not knowing the proper names of things.:confused:
    Yes, you can move the drain. In fact, it's just about the only way to move your toilet out, ( without installing a 10" rough in bowl). you would have to swap the existing closet flange for a 1 or 1 1/2" offset closet flange,(see image). What type of drainage do you have? Copper? Cast iron? Plastic? Let me know. Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by niteowlgirl72

I suppose I cannot move the the drain at all?? I am like a total amateur to all this house repair stuff so pardon my not knowing the proper names of things.:confused:
    If we're truly talking about only a 1/2 of an inch, you can 'cheat' the closet bolts forward a bit on the closet flange.

The closet flange has either a 3" or a 4" inlet, while the discharge outlet on the water closet isn't going to be any more than 2" -- So moving the closet bolts forward 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch isn't going to affect how the toilet flushes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2007, 06:23 AM
    tomder55 agrees: I read that was one possible solution but it also said that an offset flange may violate code
    You're changing out a closet flange, not building a house. Who's going to know!
    Try growlers advice first. If that fails then a offset flange may be the only answer.
    Good luck, Tom

Nov 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I am not a plumber but it seems to me you have to move the wall if you want to keep the same toilet . Or you can get a toilet for a 10 " rough in . There are plenty available .

10 Rough Elongated Toilet - Home Improvement - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
    What does "rough in" mean exactly? Does it just mean 10" Can I just put this 10" toilet right where the old one was? Will it line up with the flange bolts and Just be the correct distance from the wall?

Thanks all of you for your answers! :D

Nov 8, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Yes, you can move the drain. In fact, it's just about the only way to move your toilet out, ( without installing a 10" rough in bowl). you would have to swap the existing closet flange for a 1 or 1 1/2" offset closet flange,(see image). What type of drainage do you have? Copper? Cast iron? Plastic? Let me know. Tom

My drainage is that black plastic or pvc. Is this replacement a difficult thing to do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Toilet Too Close To Wall! [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet in our upstairs bathroom has been installed too cose to the wall. The lid to the bowl won't even go on completely because there is not any clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I measured from the closet bolts (?) to the wall and it measured 11 1/2". What are my options...

Basement toilet too close to wall [ 1 Answers ]

OK, my plumber stubbed in a toilet and everything else in our basement bathroom and I am just finishing it out. It appears like they didn't count for the drywall because the tank is too close to the wall for the toilet I bought, it's very close but I sort of got it wedged in there and bolted the...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Toilet to close to wall [ 7 Answers ]

I'm in the process of the replacing the toilet in a basement bathroom. The new toilet will not fit because the center of the flange is only 9 1/2 inches from the wall, rather than twelve. I broke all the concrete around the pipe. It is cast iron. What is the best way to move the flange 2 1/2...

Help: Toilet tanks too FAR from wall. [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks so much for this site, it is very informative! We are about to close on a new construction home. This house is located out of state, and we just discovered that the 3 toilets have been placed 2½", 4½", and 6" away from the wall. The builder said they were placed that way because of the...

View more questions Search