Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Divine_Chaos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 12:55 AM
    What do you call a freed genie?
    What do you call a freed genie? I remember a movie called Shazam where there was a black genie whose lamp was an old boombox and when he was freed he said that he was called something else.
    crowman Posts: 67, Reputation: 24

Nov 8, 2007, 05:42 AM
    A Djinn, perhaps?

Also, less likely, he might have referred to himself as an Ifrit. But, I haven`t seen the film, so I can`t be sure how the character referred to himself.
    iralf02 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Shaquille o neal was the genie!! And it was a djinn
    amccun Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2010, 08:12 PM

A djinn is a particular kind of spirit from Middle Eastern mythology, and they are normally "free," just like people. It is only very rarely (in stories) that a djinn is trapped in an object--as in the story of the fisherman and the djinn--and even more rarely that a djinn is a servant who lives in an object and grants wishes, as in the story of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp.

We get the word "genie" from French, because the first European translation of the Arabian Nights was in French. "Genie" is the French word that was used to translate "djinn."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxford genie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a software named oxford genie... by moving cursor at any word.. it displays the meaning of that word.but now it is unable to even read any word.please help me out.it doesn't respond now.

Beach Genie [ 1 Answers ]

A man was walking along a Florida beach and stumbled across an old lamp. He picked it up and rubbed it, and out popped a genie. The genie said, "OK, You released me from the lamp. This is the fourth time this month, and I'm getting a little sick of these wishes so you can forget about three......

View more questions Search