Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CulverCity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Creating a forum on a Webpage
    I'm researching how to add a forum to a Webpage. The Webmaster is a volunteer and I don't expect him to know how to write the code necessary to create a forum. I'm guessing that the easiest way is to buy forum-creating software. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best and most economical software, or information about free forum-creating methods?

Thank you.

Tracy
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:32 AM
    I use Simple Machines (SMF). It's free, easy to use and tweak, and well supported. Get it for free here: Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 8, 2007, 08:15 AM
    SMF is the newer project, it kindof replaced the old Yabb SE forums.

Another decent project is phpBB • Creating Communities Worldwide

A decent portal, which includes a forum and has many modules available, is PHP-Nuke
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 12, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I've read somewhere that SMF creates better code from an SEO perspective than phpBB, so it may take less tweaking to get an SMF BB noticed by search engines (that's why I chose SMF over phpBB). Don't know about the code generated by PHP-Nuke. However, I'm no SEO expert and haven't looked at the code generated so take this for what it is: a second-hand opinion. BTW, there are web sites out there that provide tips on tweaking all three platforms for SEO.

Vasily
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Also, it's been my experience that phpBB is a bigger target for hackers than SMF.
    CulverCity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Thank you, Rick. I just looked at it. It looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I use Simple Machines (SMF). It's free, easy to use and tweak, and well supported. Get it for free here: Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not able to open webpage [ 3 Answers ]

I want to register online for GRE.but when I click 'i agree',the next webpage doesn't open & I get this message: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site...

Find a webpage [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a webpage that will give me a list of corporate and or large franchise retail home décor, garden centers and furniture stores. I am not intrested in mom and pop retail establishments. Thanks

MP3 for webpage [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use an MP3 on my webpage, but I just want a short piece of it. Any idea what software I can use to cut a clip out of an MP3?

Webpage problem [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble accessing eBay and Google - every time I type in the URL the page displays - "soon.." - I cannot get in... a while back ago I got attacked with a popup frenzie and I fixed it but since I cannot access these two sites. I can access all other sites without problems... HELP!

Creating a forum [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I'de like to create a forum for my new site. But but I don't know anything about it. Can someone hepl me? I only know the interface part. Thanks

View more questions Search