Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MLQ1981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 06:32 PM
    Should I pay for a ticket that I no longer own?
    I live in the state of NY and I recently received 4 parking totaling to the amount of $625. The ticket was a computerized stub that just had the following information: violation (Here are the following violations on the ticket: 1. Improper plates 2. unregistered vehicle 3. no front plate 4. no stopping), summons, issued (all on 10-28-03), due(all 4 are due on 12-10-03), fine and penalty. Nothing else was on the ticket. It did not have the Vehicle Identification number or the plate. The veh that I owned in 2002 was 92 honda which I donated to a coworker and since then I never own another car. I surrendered the plates to the NYS DMV for the 02 honda that I owned on 03/2003. I no longer have a copy of the FS6 form. I do not recall receiving any ticket in the mail on 10-28-03. The last thing that I received was a letter stating that the vehicle was abandoned at a certain location without any plates 4 months after I surrendered the plates. I do not know whatever happened to the veh because I had given it to my coworker. I am due to appear in court on 11-28-05 and I do not think that I should be paying for the tickets on a vehicle that I no longer own. What should I do?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 04:49 AM
    Did you transfer title to the coworker? Sounds like not.
    Do you not have any contact with the co-worker? Unless ownership of the vehicle was properly transferred to your name, you might be stuck.

I would suggest humbly explaining the situation in court and hope that the judge or referree will see the reality of the situation despite that you may show up as the owner of record.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2005, 05:30 AM
    Ownership
    Hi,
    As another said, you might be stuck with the fines.
    Sounds like you are still the legal owner of the vehicle. If you did not sign over your vehicle title to your co-worker, you are probably out of luck. Just turning over the license plates to the proper people does not mean you still don't own the vehicle. It simply means it won't be driven by you anymore.
    The judge might be lenient with the fines, or reducing them some, IF you have written proof of some kind that you "donated" the vehicle to someone else.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2005, 06:08 AM
    Car ownership
    Your friend is using "YOUR" car, he has borrowed it, unless you have a bill of sale ( even for one dollar) you can not donate a car to him, since he is not a donation center. Even then a donation center gives you a receipt for the car ( although they often don't retitle the car) so you have to keep your recept.

You could be liable for many things that your friend does with the car, since you are the legal owner, if he has an accident for example and kills someone, guess who could be added to the law suit since you are shown by the state to be the legal owner.

This is assumeing you did not trasfer the title of the car over to him.

The state keeps records of ownership by VIN, last known plate number and car model and make, along with other information.

So you got the tickets because it was traced toyou by the VIN.

You need to get the title of this car transferred to your friend.

Next the tickets will not go away, they will stay on "YOUR" record. And you will find in many areas the fines grow and grow and grow.
    So you need to talk to the court and clear this up.

Since your friend got a ticket for no plate(tag) and the such it is obvious he has not gotten the car registered in his name and is merely driving your car knowing if anything happens you will be held resonible not him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ticket for a vehicle that I no longer own [ 11 Answers ]

I live in the state of NY and I recently received 4 parking totaling to the amount of $625. The ticket was a computerized stub that just had the following information: violation (Here are the following violations on the ticket: 1. Improper plates 2. unregistered vehicle 3. no front plate 4. no...

Parking ticket?  HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a car on 02-04-2001 and it keeps coming back a costing me money. I was just sent a parking ticket bill that was giving to the car on 04-01-2001, 2 months after I sold it. I sent in a "lelease of liability" to the DMV when I sold it but it wasent recorded. Now I get a bill for $250 for a...

Corporation sole, freedom or a ticket to jail? [ 2 Answers ]

There are numerous web sites touting the alleged tax immunity and asset protection features of the corporation sole, and there are numerous peddlers who would like to help relieve you of your hard-earned money. Many well-meaning but overly-trusting Christians have already been taken advantage...

View more questions Search