Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MLQ1981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 06:30 PM
    Ticket for a vehicle that I no longer own
    I live in the state of NY and I recently received 4 parking totaling to the amount of $625. The ticket was a computerized stub that just had the following information: violation (Here are the following violations on the ticket: 1. Improper plates 2. unregistered vehicle 3. no front plate 4. no stopping), summons, issued (all on 10-28-03), due(all 4 are due on 12-10-03), fine and penalty. Nothing else was on the ticket. It did not have the Vehicle Identification number or the plate. The veh that I owned in 2002 was 92 honda which I donated to a coworker and since then I never own another car. I surrendered the plates to the NYS DMV for the 02 honda that I owned on 03/2003. I no longer have a copy of the FS6 form. I do not recall receiving any ticket in the mail on 10-28-03. The last thing that I received was a letter stating that the vehicle was abandoned at a certain location without any plates 4 months after I surrendered the plates. I do not know whatever happened to the veh because I had given it to my coworker. I am due to appear in court on 11-28-05 and I do not think that I should be paying for the tickets on a vehicle that I no longer own. What should I do?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2005, 03:39 PM
    Vehicle
    Do yo have any documentation of the donated vehicle, if so take it with you to court and explain it to the judge, just the facts.

mr.yet
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2005, 05:10 PM
    No answers when you first posted this?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=14973
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2005, 05:25 PM
    No answer you liked
    Sorry I guess you wanted to hear, don't worry about it, don't pay the fine, it is not your car anymore.

OK, there it is, you can be happy, it ain't the truth, but it is what you wanted to hear.

The truth of it is, that until the car has had its "title" changed with the state, you legally own the car. I had one where I actually sold a car to a guy. Receipt and all of that, but he never went and registered it. Guess what, it was stolen used in some robberies, and latter recovered.
    Guess who had the police visiting him at work.

First you got the tickets sent to you, so they know it is your car, the stubs you have don't show the VIN but guess how they knew it belonged to you? Yep, from the VIN. Also if they tow it and impound it, it will be sold, but if the cost of impound is not covered by the sell, they will also try to collect the money for it from you unless you show proff that it was sold, given away or donated.

You need a bill of sale or a paper showing who you gave it to.
    Since he is not an approved charity, approved by your state to accept donations of autos, the car is not donated, and is not tax deductable.
    If you did that, you could also end up with IRS issues also.

Get hold of this guy that you gave the car to, get him to sign a receipt for the auto and find out whyhe has not registered the title in his name yet.

Next you will have to go to court and show them the letter or note where he signed that he had received the car. Better yet, get him to go to court with you.

But unless you can prove to the court that you sold or gave the car to someone else, you will be liable for the tickets.

Not an lawyer, ( did go to law school) but speaking from my personal opinon and experience. Not given as legal advice, only opinion
    Jazzylady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
    Car was stolen. How to prove to court that I no longer have vehicle.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzylady;
    Car was stolen. How to prove to court that I no longer have vehicle.
    For a new question, please start a new thread instead of borrowing one from years ago.

What state or country?

When was the car stolen? Did you report the theft to the police at the time?

What were you ticketed for?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
    I see this situation in accidents. The Police Report is proof a vehicle was stolen.
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Or copies of correspondence with your insurance company regarding the claim (if a claim was made).

Do you know the identity of the thief?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
    In my area the insurance company requires a Police Report. I see this situation in hit and run accidents - suddenly the car was stolen (but not reported stolen).
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee;
    In my area the insurance company requires a Police Report. I see this situation in hit and run accidents - suddenly the car was stolen (but not reported stolen).
    Makes sense that the carrier would insist upon a police report, but let me understand what their suspicion might be:

Insured is involved in a hit and run (insured runs) and reports that the vehicle had been stolen before the accident. The idea is to pretend that the thief had done the hit and run, not the insured. So the vehicle is, in effect, totalled. What happens to the vehicle?

Oh. I see. It turns up later in another part of town. Perhaps not totalled, but insured is trying to keep from being charged with hit and run.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
    My experience with hit and run is that the Police track down the license plate. Owner claims vehicle was stolen. No Police Report on file prior to the accident.

Sometimes the owner's company pays. Sometimes the company refuses to pay based on fraud.

I've never been involved when the car is totaled. It's always about the personal injury.
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
    So someone has been hit by the car and the owner claims he/she wasn't driving because the car had been stolen. Victim sues the insured for personal injury. Insurer refuses coverage because insured tried to defraud the insurance company. Got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I pay for a ticket that I no longer own? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of NY and I recently received 4 parking totaling to the amount of $625. The ticket was a computerized stub that just had the following information: violation (Here are the following violations on the ticket: 1. Improper plates 2. unregistered vehicle 3. no front plate 4. no...

Parking ticket?  HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a car on 02-04-2001 and it keeps coming back a costing me money. I was just sent a parking ticket bill that was giving to the car on 04-01-2001, 2 months after I sold it. I sent in a "lelease of liability" to the DMV when I sold it but it wasent recorded. Now I get a bill for $250 for a...

Corporation sole, freedom or a ticket to jail? [ 2 Answers ]

There are numerous web sites touting the alleged tax immunity and asset protection features of the corporation sole, and there are numerous peddlers who would like to help relieve you of your hard-earned money. Many well-meaning but overly-trusting Christians have already been taken advantage...

View more questions Search