Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 11:35 AM

So does it help to give yourself permission to have one smoke per day for four more days, or something like that?

When I was tapering off methadone, strict rules were very important to me. It gave me structure and I knew if I was cheating and when I was not, but the rules had to be something I could tolerate. Don't know if this will help.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 11:37 AM

Another thought. I STILL have methadone and fentanyl left from three years ago, or whenever. A friend pressured me to throw them away, thinking I'd be tempted. For me, it's a measure of myself control to have them in my sock drawer... I am not tempted. Everybody's different though.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Hi Ken,

You mention "cheating" and sneaking one. Isn't that like sneaking a beer? Patch or not, oral/manual habit or not, You aren't fooling yourself.

I'm just thinking aloud. I have smoked while on the patch too.

It's almost as if the addicted self is "separate" from who we want to be. Like a willful child wanting to sneak in a secret recess instead of sitting in class, he wants to go his own way. He wants to get away with something, even if that something is playing on the freeway during rush hour.
    Yes,exactly, which is why I am mentioning it,I think others need to see that in addiction,even being treated on medications(patch,etc) there are still 'old behaviors' associated with our pasts,in addiction I am not cured, I am a process in progress.

Today I smoked 3 more, I am now down to 1 in the pack, hmm, do I buy another and allow the addiction to continue? or do I do the next right thing, stick to the decision I made to quit.

I know I will stay on the patch, even though I think it's too strong at 21 mg,(might be the added smoking along with the dosage), I'll find out soon, IF I can make it through tomorrow(maybe I can throw out that last one, just to say I can do it!)

I have tapered down from the 8 to 5 to 3 for 2 days, maybe now I can make the decision stick..

My support has all but abandoned me(offline support) and online there hasn't been too many piping in besides you 2... of which I am VERY grateful.I am awaiting Dr.Bill100's input as well.

Thanks again,

Ken
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 05:22 PM

Good luck, Ken!

I just met a deadline and am going to go have pizza and watch last night's Daily Show with my two teens. Wanted to check in and cheer you on. I know these first few days/weeks are the hardest. This seems like a good time of year to do it. Maybe you can get outdoors and get your mind in other tracks at least some of the time. Not sure what the weather is like there, but here you could plant some flowers; rent a canoe and go row on a lake. :)

Take care.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 03:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Good luck, Ken!

I just met a deadline and am going to go have pizza and watch last night's Daily Show with my two teens. Wanted to check in and cheer you on. I know these first few days/weeks are the hardest. This seems like a good time of year to do it. Maybe you can get outdoors and get your mind in other tracks at least some of the time. Not sure what the weather is like there, but here you could plant some flowers; rent a canoe and go row on a lake. :)

Take care.
    The weather played a small roll as the roads were posted and the trucks couldn't get in to deliver the stone and top-soil for the project here at home,I cut out,leveled and installed a drive to the workshop,around it and behind it, the weather was terrific, it rained just once while I was doing the whole project,as of yesterdays rain(which was very brief) the seed was down and is now bedded.

Now is the real test... Wednesday I begin a project with a friend who smokes like a chimney,he knows I am trying to quit, but around the exposure, I guess it'll be the real test for me,the real world is going to continue to do what it does,I am just going to have to live with it:(

Rent a canoe,go row in a lake, sounds like you're sending me down the river... :eek:

My Psyche doc suggested I move to Phoenix year round(and perhaps when I am without the responsibilities I have here,I just might do it).My response to him,"Just write the scrip and I'll be there", well, here I am:(

As any good addict,I smoked the last one last night, rationalized that I was too excited over the Penguins(hockey) win and needed a smoke, imagine that!

Today I am going for broke, smoke free,no trips to the store for a new pack,no weakness,no excuses.This has to stick.I know I can,I know I can... Fierce determination and the 'rewards' from no longer smoking(many health issues I have from it,and I just might recover from the next surgery faster if I am not a smoker!

Here I go,down the happy road of destiny,without a crutch.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 07:09 AM

Wow! Sounds like a great project--the drive to the workshop and flower beds.

Down the river, no. Just suggesting an outing that takes you out of your usual haunts and at least temporarily away from a store. :)

Congrats on the Penguins win. Penguins were my Junior High school mascot.
    (Sharks won out here, but I don't follow it.)

Wednesday will be tough but first things first.
    Just today...
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 07:20 AM

Wednesday will be tough but first things first.
    Just today...
    Yes,just today(wow,that trip to the store is looking like a necessity,, but food only,, only,, ooonnlllyyy,, mmmmmmmmmm... I can do it!:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 07:52 AM

Shop somewhere where you can avoid that aisle?
    A health food store?

Good luck!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 12:45 PM

A sponsor I had once said that she could be around her husband's drinking by remembering that it was his booze, not hers.

With cigarettes it's something about the smell. Hopefully when your friend visits, the smell of his smoking will be a reminder to you that it's the smell of death.

Stick by your decision. Even if you need to re-decide every 5 minutes.

Keep us posted.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 12:54 PM
    [QUOTE=;]My support has all but abandoned me(offline support) and online there hasn't been too many piping in besides you 2... of which I am VERY grateful.I am awaiting Dr.Bill100's input as well./QUOTE]

KBC, I didn't abandon you in your pursuit I've been taking a non-intervention position as you had already decided on a method. Waiting to see how that is working for you. Bring me up to speed: what is your current status.

In particular, have you had any noticeable depression or any type of extreme (exaggerated) physical response to reduction in your smoking?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
    [QUOTE=DrBill100;2337068]
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    My support has all but abandoned me(offline support) and online there hasn't been too many piping in besides you 2...of which I am VERY grateful.I am awaiting Dr.Bill100's input as well./QUOTE]

KBC, I didn't abandon you in your pursuit I've been taking a non-intervention position as you had already decided on a method. Waiting to see how that is working for you. Bring me up to speed: what is your current status.

In particular, have you had any noticeable depression or any type of extreme (exaggerated) physical response to reduction in your smoking?
    Current status,perhaps tired often, if I am not keeping busy,I am sleepy.

I have had NO cigarettes today, this is the first day of none.And for me, that's a great big step.It's 4:30 my time, I've been up for 12 hours and no serious cravings.. I believe that I can get through this, it'll just take time.

I wasn't saying you abandoned me DrBill, there are a few friends who aren't responding at all to my posts, they were a large part of my past here at AMHD,perhaps they have other things going on in their lives, I really don't know(and the world doesn't revolve around me all the time, but,, I really could use their kindness right now:(.

Your help and advice, all of your's,is most appreciated.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 03:02 PM

Rule one of any process is success. If it's working don't change it. Are you doing anything to relax, relieve stress, craving etc.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Rule one of any process is success. If it's working don't change it. Are you doing anything to relax, relieve stress, craving etc.?
    For the past few weeks I have been concentrating on a large project here at home, it has occupied my time/thinking,etc until yesterday afternoon.Now the project is completed.From the extreme of constant to the other of nil,this isn't really different from my past.Insanity aside,doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, I don't have the expectations I used to have,I am without a plan if things get,well,rough.

As long as I don't set myself up for failure, sabotage my life in some way,allow things to occur without projecting an outcome, I am pretty sure I can accept life on life's terms.

I have cut back on 'some' of my caffeine intake,more water instead of mountain dew.walking from our place to next door(even over the road this can be a good walk.) and I haven't returned to those places I used to frequent for smoking, except the vehicle,which used to be a real issue.I am still up in the air about what to do there.

Cravings, well,if I think hard about one,I remember WHY I want to quit, believe me,it might be personal,but it is VERY powerful.This type of decision has backbone,keeps me grounded,doesn't allow for much wandering.My mind is hazy but I think it is the patch,nothing more.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 04:16 PM

I was going to mention caffeine. Active smokers metabolize caffeine at almost twice the rate of non-smokers. That usually means you drink more caffeine and if so, after reducing smoke, you would experience greater anxiety and agitation from the caffeine intake.

Here is a website that gives some tips on breathing, contacts etc. Quit smoking -- the classic boilerplate points

In addition, monitor your mood as tobacco smoke (not nicotine) has an antidepressant effect, influencing MAO in your brain. We know this antidepressant effect exists but don't understand the mechanism.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 04:22 PM

Ken, This sounds very positive. Do you have plans for another project? Maybe something not too demanding or stressful, but distracting and fun?

I agree with Dr. Bill about reducing stress. When you start to taper off the patch you'll need something in place. The walks sound nice. I watched the golden eagle attacking the deer. Amazing!

As for the caffeine, I personally would cut out one drug at a time. Cutting back is different and fine if it isn't stressing you. In other words, one major challenge at a time.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 04:34 PM
    As for the caffeine, I personally would cut out one drug at a time. Cutting back is different and fine if it isn't stressing you. In other words, one major challenge at a time.
    I hope I didn't mislead with my previous message. Asking is absolutely right. One at a time. My point on the caffeine is that you are accustomed to overuse due to the rapid metabolism created by smoking. If you continue at the same rate you will be consuming much more than you need, due to habit. Too much caffeine would in turn create nervousness, agitation etc that most people associate with tobacco withdrawal, and making things more difficult than they need be. Just keep that in mind. But, once again, don't look to cease consumption.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
    I was going to mention caffeine. Active smokers metabolize caffeine at almost twice the rate of non-smokers. That usually means you drink more caffeine and if so, after reducing smoke, you would experience greater anxiety and agitation from the caffeine intake.

Here is a website that gives some tips on breathing, contacts etc., Quit smoking -- the classic boilerplate points

In addition, monitor your mood as tobacco smoke (not nicotine) has an antidepressant effect, influencing MAO in your brain. We know this antidepressant effect exists but don't understand the mechanism.
    A very interesting post, thank you!
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
    I hope I didn't mislead with my previous message. Asking is absolutely right. One at a time. My point on the caffeine is that you are accustomed to overuse due to the rapid metabolism created by smoking. If you continue at the same rate you will be consuming much more than you need, due to habit. Too much caffeine would in turn create nervousness, agitation etc that most people associate with tobacco withdrawal, and making things more difficult than they need be. Just keep that in mind. But, once again, don't look to cease consumption.
    As both of you have said, no I won't completely remove the caffeine from my system, been there, wow,those withdraws are worse than too cold ice cream in a hot mouth, OUCH!!

I have also a large supply of Ativan for any real high anxiety,and I can only hope that I can stay somewhat level with the moods, I know they will swing, same with any change in chemicals being introduced/reduced/removed from a system.

Thanks again for the posts, I really do need this!
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 09:40 AM

Hope you are doing well this morning, Ken.

I'll be checking in again later to see if you posted.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 01:48 PM
    I have been fine thus far,no cravings,slept much of the day, but also had some shop time, finishing a new table top.

I am having a difficult time believing how easy this is,I really thought it would be much worse.

Soooo, so far so good:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pilot not staying on [ 1 Answers ]

OK. Every time I light the pilot it will saty on for a few minutes and goes off. I talked to a friend and he said it could be the thermocooper or something like that but wasn't sure also. Just wandering if you guys might have an idea or agree with him.

Co-worker saying I take drugs, when it was prescribed medication [ 1 Answers ]

I had a co-worker get angry at me recently for going to another co-worker for a second opinion on what we call CAREER LADDER. I am a teacher and she is new this year to the district and school, whereas, I have been at the school for over a year and in the district for almost 2 years. She was...

Should I tell him that I am very ill [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend of two years broke up with me 9 days ago. He says he loves me and is in love with me but he is in a place in his life that he likes. He talked about marriage but did not want to get married. He said he wanted to live together first. We made plans to do this. Decided where to live and...

Furnace not staying on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Amana (GUD070X30B) , White-Rodgers 50A50-288 Control. The thermostat calls for heat, the gas turns on and runs for approx 15 minutes then the gas shuts off but the thermostat is still calling for heat. The inducer motor is still running and the diagnostic light is 3 Blinks...

Weighing staying [ 8 Answers ]

I know my husband is abusive. I have four daughters, 2-11-15-17. He is 70% good and when he is bad, I hate him. But I weigh the stay or go. It would create more of a problem and upset the whole applecart to leave then to let the problem subside. I have spoken with my girls about situation at...

View more questions Search