Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gracen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 05:18 PM
    SOL defense pro se against an atty for old credit debt
    I recently went to court and into an arbitration meeting, pro se and using the SOL defense for a bill 0ver $13,000. The atty for the other side could not give a exact date of when I would have tried to pay this account within the 6 years (NYstate) time perios, and honestly, I have no idea what this debt is since it is so old, I can't even remember it. They were given an extension of time to see if they could come up with something on me, and I am wondering, should I ask for a debt verification letter, or discovery, now? I am to see them at the end of the month, and don't wish to be blindsided by info that they could have 'made' up somehow. My records were destroyed, and when I tried to get old bank records, I was told by the bank, they have no record of me there. So, I feel I am at the mercy of whatever they come up with. Also, can someone answer for me, if we are now before the judge and they do come up woth something and he disallows my defense, is there still time for me to make a settlement with them, so as not to incurr another judgment on my credit record?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Send request for discovery to them, to produce original contract you signed, complete accounting of the alleged debt, and a request that it is beynold the SOL.

Since they could not produce that date in the hearing , that is why they were given more time, next time state" Move to dismiss SOL has expired"
    gracen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Thanks< also, when I move to dismiss SOL has expired< I am asking that of the judge?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gracen
    thanks< also, when I move to dismiss SOL has expired< i am asking that of the judge?

Yes, that is correct.
    rolandstein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Depends on how much energy you want to put into it. First, go to Ezzani.com and buy an ebook for $15 called "how i beat capital one and lrlo." It will help you if you go through this again. It has motions, answers, discovery, etc. It helped me win two lawsuits. Then, hire an FDCPA lawyer. They sued you hoping on a default and did not have the right paperwork-this is a clear FDCPA violation for harassment, among others. Finally, if they don't produce it, move for a dismissal, but don't sign a release of not suing them for FDCPA. In California, you can sue for the state statute and get an additional 2k+ attorney fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Old Debt and SOL [ 5 Answers ]

I had a business partner and long story short went $250,000.00 + in the hole. 4 1/2 years later I almost have everything settled or paid. I recently had an old debt pop up (Citibank Mastercard) through everyone's favorite debt buyer Unifund. I responded to their collection letter asking for...

Summon from Collection Agency on Old Credit Card Debt (SOL expired) [ 6 Answers ]

I received a copy of a Summons and Complaint in my mail box. It was mailed by first class mail. This Summon is from Asset Acceptance, a debt collector agency. They have bought over my Providian credit card account which has been charged off (with last activity in April 2001 - based on my latest...

SOL in Ontario for collection of old debt [ 8 Answers ]

Approx February 2005, at the time my husband and I had our own business it was incorporated. The company purchased supplies from a local company, we fell under financial difficulty and in the beginning of Jan 2006 we closed the business due to financial problems. I was just recently contacted in...

Dealing with Debt Collectors, New Defense, Need feedback [ 2 Answers ]

Affirmative Defenses: Prior Course of Dealing No Prior Course of Dealing This is a defense to a lawsuit based on a cause of action for account stated. In order for a plaintiff to prevail on a claim (cause of action) for account stated, he must allege and prove...

View more questions Search