Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmb892912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
    What should I do when my child is born?
    :confused: I'm almost 9 months pregnant and my boyfriend left me when I was about 5 months... im 17 and he is almost 19... he has a new girlfriend now who's 15... I live in Maryland... I don't want him at the hospital when my daughter is born... but does he have any rights to come see her or take her away before we go to court?. what should I do??
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I would contact a good attorney. You can inform the hospital that you do not want him present at the birth . Most hospitals will honor this. And since he will not know you are in labor unless you tell him.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 7, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Is he sleeping with the 15 year old?

If so... report him to the police. Almost 19 and 15 is statutory rape in most places, and that will prevent him from being in the hospital or you having to see him.

I know I'm rather harsh here.

Your other option is to let the maternity nurses know who is and who is NOT allowed in the room with you. This is all about you, and making YOU comfortable, and believe me, they will keep people out of there.

As far as rights to his child--those would have to be established in court. Absolutely he can not take your child from you before the court grants him any rights!

I still think you should take the statutory angle, though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
    He has no rights to take your child away. For him to gain custody would require a court hearing. However, it may be in your best interests to file for Sole custody rioght off the bat.

Also if this person is consorting with a 15 year old, you might have someone tip off the police. If he's 19 and she's 15, that would be statutory rape in most jurisdictions if she's having sex with him. And if he was doing it with you, odds are he's doing it with her too.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 7, 2007, 01:41 PM
    With all this talk about rights, has he threatened you with legal action? Is he interested in obtaining custody? Are you trying to establish custody/child support?

Talk to your parents about obtaining a lawyer for your own protection. Set up court ordered child support and make him responsible for the child he's having.

Much luck to you
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 06:35 AM
    I agree with what everyone has said... and just basically reinforcing those facts.

Don't tell hin when you go into labor... that should help right off the bat. But as soon as you get to the hospital inform the staff assigned to you that he is not allowed in. He will not be able to get in the labor room.

He had no rights until it is heard in court.
    I would start getting the paperwork together that you will need for child support and custody. You can't file anything until the baby is born, but at least you will be one step ahead of the game and you will have everything you need, and file immediately after the baby is born.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2007, 06:54 AM
    If he is convicted for statutory rape, he will have almost no chance to get any sort of custody. So you really should pursue that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Unborn child [ 14 Answers ]

I have known the father of my unborn child for 5 years. We dated and had a great intimate friendship until I became pregnant and he did not want to speak to me ever again. He wrote me several emails commanding me to get an abortion and wished me to miscarry. He is very aggressive and...

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

Unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I am 22 and married. I live in az with my husband. I am 4 months pregnant. Some things have come up in my marriage that aren't good. I want to know. Is I leavehim and go back home to North Carolina can he get me for kid napping? Or do I need to get his permision to leave the state? Someone...

View more questions Search