Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmarti02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Determining existence of French Drain?
    Hello,

How do I determine if my house has a French Drain (FD) around the foundation? The house was built in 1970 without a garage. Garage was attached in 80's. A lot of landscape changes have also been made over time. Neighbor found out that he has FD when he added on to house this summer. On our plot we received when we bought the house it didn't show a FD, but looking at all plans at city hall, found a final plot with one added. We think it was covered up over time. We have water issues in the basement each spring.

Other than using a backhoe and digging, is there are way to determine if there is a French Drain?

Thanks,
    Curtis
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2007, 11:58 AM
    The only way would be to dig down and check. You don't need a backhoe to dig a exploratory trench down to check. Just some muscle power. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet Basement/French Drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a basement that gets water in it when it rains heavily, covering one window helped, but didn't eliminate the problem there, and in heavy rain, it seems to be coming in from all over. How much help can cleaning and fixing gutters be? Do I need a french drain system, and how do I know what I...

Can you use sand in french drain [ 3 Answers ]

Can you uses sand instead of gravel in a french drain for yard drainage? Hope this is still a plumber question.

French drain. Well, that's what he told me it was. [ 14 Answers ]

I have a regular handyman who just recently put in a "french drain" by one of my basement windows. He did this on the recommendation of his friend. However, he admitted he had no idea what one was. Both of these guys told me to dig a 2' deep hole around the window. I did. Then, after he attached...

French drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have lived in the house for about 5 years. I would notice a few moist spots on the walls and floors after a heavy rain. But now the floor is always damp in the same two spots. One leading to the drain in the floor. Next to that is the little hole with the stones. I'm assuming that is the "french...

View more questions Search