Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Withdrawing my 401k to purchase a business
    I'm currently looking at a business that I want to purchase. I have approximately $40k in an E-trade account. I know that if I withdraw this money I will be charged a %. Can you please tell me what I can expect between penalties and taxes? Also what if I invest in a business with it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Using there money to invest in a business would not be considered a hardships so you will lose 4K in penalities and addition the $40K will be added to your taxable income. This could push you into a higher bracket. But it wll most likelt mean another $10K in taxes. So your $40K gets you around $25K.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawing 401k early, how much taxes are taken? [ 7 Answers ]

When you withdraw 401k early, how much taxes are taken out, and do they do that for you or do you?

Withdrawing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to withdraw 401k, when withdrawing before retirement?

Withdrawing from 401K Plan [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that with the new laws from the Penion Protection Act of 2006, I can withdraw some of my money and rollover to into an IRA with no separation of service? Is this true?

Withdrawing my 401k--how do I go about paing penalties? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of pulling my 401k. I need the money to pay off medical bills from before I had medical insurance. I have to pay 10% penalty plus Federal and state taxes which add up to like 42%.. Anyway, I have no choice at this time... My question is: what is the best way to go...

Withdrawing off my 401k? [ 2 Answers ]

First... I have 2 different 401ks. Should I roll these together before I withdraw or withdraw them separate? Second... how to I go about getting started? Is it paper work? If it is where to I get this paperwork? Anyone might be able to help... much appreciated. Thanks Steve

View more questions Search