Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paapa94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
    How to calculate the number of lighting poles
    Here is the question:

"How many 120V, two wire, 20 ampere branch circuits are required to supply

52 parking lot lights, which are rated 500va each and are continuous loads?"

I am getting ~ 14, but the answer in the book is 18

Can you help?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Nov 8, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paapa94
    Here is the question:

"How many 120V, two wire, 20 ampere branch circuits are required to supply

52 parking lot lights, which are rated 500va each and are continuous loads?"

I am getting ~ 14, but the answer in the book is 18

Can you help?
    Don't you have to derate it ; you get 18
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 06:05 AM
    52 lights at 500 VA=26000 VA / 120 Volts = 216.67 total amps

A 15 amp circuit with a continuous load must be derated 80%, so the max load allowed on a 15 amp circuit is 12 amps.

216 / 12 = 18 circuits

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate a company's net income for the year? Net cash flow? Net operating profit after taxes (NOPAT)? Operating cash flow? Free cash flow (FCF) for the year? Economic Value Added (EVA)? GeorgeNor [email protected]

Calculate A/C [ 8 Answers ]

Anyone wants to take a shot. I seen this posted somewhere else, and was amazed by the answers I seen. Yet would love to see what you get. The unit is a Residential room Window Air Conditioner--with cord and plug. (Cord and Plug has a trip button) Nameplate: Volatge 230/208 Watts 1850/1800...

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

How do I calculate the following [ 2 Answers ]

Owens Orchards sells apples in a large bag by weight. A sample of seven bags contained The following numbers of apples: 23, 19, 26, 17, 21, 24, 22. a. Compute the mean number and median number of apples in a bag and verify.

2 poles geometry [ 2 Answers ]

This is a popular problem but I have not seem to find the solution to it and I am in desperate need of help. Two Poles Problem.. Two poles are 30 ft and 20 ft tall and are perpendicular to level ground. The two poles are 40 ft apart along the ground. If wires are attached to the top of each...

View more questions Search