Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guyhood Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Lights dimming
    What should I look for when troubleshooting lights that dim. When a contractor plugs in paint sprayer or air compressor it causes the lights to dim in the hallway. Too many circuits on that breaker? Or ----
    Guy
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Guyhood,

If the dimming occurs when a contractor is plugging something, chances are that he is drawing more power then design of the wiring and power plant anticipated.

If you have and old house with less than 100 amp service you can either pay an large amount of money to increase your service or reduce the number of appliance and power drains while the contractor is working/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lights on one circuit keep dimming [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a home built in the 40's. It has the old cloth covered wiring, new panel and breakers (6 years old). I have one circuit (which is very much overloaded) that never had a problem before (as long as the blow dryer wasn't on with anything else). I recently replaced a switch in...

Newer dimmer not dimming after replacing wall lights [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced two wall lights today, 6 incandescent bulbs, total 240 watts. They turned on, but would not dim. The dimmer is a newer, less than 2 years, a Leviton or Lutron, toggle style dimmer. Should I replace the dimmer?

Dimming lights a safety issue? [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, My lights dim when we run the vacuum, carpet cleaner or any other bigger appliance. I have seen lights dim before and then fade back on to normal after a few seconds. Ours do not do that, they simply dim and stay that way until you turn off the device... Question... Is this a problem or...

Dimming a Ceiling Fan Light [ 1 Answers ]

We have Hampton Bay ceiling fans installed on double (bipole) switches. Is there a way to use the existing wiring to provide separate control for the fan and the lights so we can put a dimmer on the lights? Or is there another way to dim the lights - would a remote do this?

Dimming by pull chain the ceiling fan lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have no wall switch for my ceiling fan lights or the fan itself. I wish to find a 3 position pull chain light switch so I can have OFF, FULL AND DIM for the lights. For DIM I would put a IN 4003 diode in series with that position wire. - That would give me 1/2 dimming. My problem is: I can't find...

View more questions Search