Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theliltank12 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 09:44 PM
    Mom needs disability
    My mom has Multiple Sclerosis and she hasn't been doing well for a while now. Struggles to walk and other daily functions. She has filed for disability about 3 times now and has been denied, on the fact that she hasn't worked (she was a stay at home mom with the kids). Which we know is a full time job in itself. But the government sees it as her not working and not paying her "dues" so they deny her... She is fully incapable of working and my dad is working all the time and can't get by with his income alone. If anyone knows what we can do to increase her chances this time around please let me know.. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
    I think she should be able to collect the minimum which is approx. $600.
    My 20 year old son never worked and he collects it. You say she has filed three times.
    Did she let it lapse in between times? That can work against her in a couple ways.
    Do they have her applying for the right kind of disability. SSI told me there are several types of SSDI and you need to apply for the one that is right for you. I never did figure that one out.
    She needs to hire a lawyer cause you're less likely to get denied when you have a lawyer.
    bornintheusa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theliltank12
    My mom has Multiple Sclerosis and she hasn't been doing well for a while now. Struggles to walk and other daily functions. She has filed for disability about 3 times now and has been denied, on the fact that she hasn't worked (she was a stay at home mom with the kids). Which we know is a full time job in itself. But the government sees it as her not working and not paying her "dues" so they deny her... She is fully incapable of working and my dad is working all the time and can't get by with his income alone. If anyone knows what we can do to increase her chances this time around please let me know..Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you
    Have her apply for SSI instead.She will get less money but hey when you got nothing isn't something better.
    Jeanette25 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theliltank12
    My mom has Multiple Sclerosis and she hasn't been doing well for a while now. Struggles to walk and other daily functions. She has filed for disability about 3 times now and has been denied, on the fact that she hasn't worked (she was a stay at home mom with the kids). Which we know is a full time job in itself. But the government sees it as her not working and not paying her "dues" so they deny her... She is fully incapable of working and my dad is working all the time and can't get by with his income alone. If anyone knows what we can do to increase her chances this time around please let me know..Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you
    Im sorry to here about your mom. I have Multiple Sclerosis and I am on SSDI. I was elegable because I held a job before I became ill and I worked for 10 years after I was diagnosed. Your mom can only collect SSDI if she paid social security taxes. SSI is for someone who has never held a job. Since your father has a job she may not be able to collect SSI either. Still your mom should still try for SSI. Good luck to all of you. Jeanette25
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Since she has been denied she is eligible to have an attorney help her on this. She does not have to pay the attorney if they do not collect anything for her. A good SSD attorney will work hard for her if he thinks she can collect from the government. Have her make an appointment with an attorney as soon as possible to get the ball rolling for some help on this. It is a long, drawn out process usually taking several years to accomplish so don't give up just yet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 06:51 PM
    To collect any form of medicare one has to have paid into it.

Disability Benefits

If you become disabled... Then you generally need:
    Before age 28 1.5 years of work
    Age 30 2 years
    Age 34 3 years
    Age 38 4 years
    Age 42 5 years
    Age 44 5.5 years
    Age 46 6 years
    Age 48 6.5 years
    Age 50 7 years
    Age 52 7.5 years
    Age 54 8 years
    Age 56 8.5 years
    Age 58 9 years
    Age 60 9.5 years

There are state medicaid disability that may be available. But this is why many older people go to work for a few years before retirement age, who has not worked out before, so they can have social seucirty benefit paid in.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 07:00 PM
    If she never worked she can apply for the SSI
    You get approximately 600. A month.

SSI requires that the claimant be poor and does not take into account an individual's work history or earnings record. SSI is available for disabled children and adults, though SSI is determined differently for both groups.

Applying for Social Security Disability and SSI Frequently Asked questions

For medical if she can't get it through social security she can check at the welfare office and they can refer her to medicaid or some program
    Jeanette25 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2008, 01:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Since she has been denied she is eligible to have an attorney help her on this. She does not have to pay the attorney if they do not collect anything for her. A good SSD attorney will work hard for her if he thinks she can collect from the government. Have her make an appointment with an attorney as soon as possible to get the ball rolling for some help on this. It is a long, drawn out process usually taking several years to accomplish so don't give up just yet.
    You are correct she can apply for SSI and she will probably get it as long as she has no other income. From the question asked it sounds as though she is married and living with her husband. If this is the case she will also be denied because her husband is providing income. One thing that may be possible is that if you are married over ten years you can collect social security from the husband even if you are divorced at the present time. I do not know if that applies to ssdi but it would be worth a try. Jeanette25

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Learning disability [ 2 Answers ]

What is it like for a man who is 40yrs old and has a learning disability? Does this also affect his personality?

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

Retirement because of Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I have worked for this company for 30yrs & have been on permanent disability for the last 2 yrs. I called today to respectfully tell them I will not be returning due to permanent disability. I have spoken with our long term disability provider & they said I must contact the company. I have told...

Disability Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on workers compensation income since November 2004. I purchased a home in February 2005. I have no W2. My dependent is in private school and received 3 hundred toward her tuition for 2005-2006 school year. I have in the past used Turbo Tax. Am I required to file taxes on my...

View more questions Search