Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akane8877 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Working out-of-state
    I am a Texas resident and am consulting at a large California company. They want me to go Full-Time. Will I lose all my deductable expenses if I do this and still keep my primary residence in Texas?
    Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 7, 2007, 06:45 AM
    They want to hire you as a full time employee? Then yes, you will lose any deductions for cost of travel (commuting) between your home and your principal job location. I'm sure you're also aware that you will have to pay CA non-resident income tax. On the plus side, as an employee rather than a contractor you may get benefits such as medical insurance, paid vacation, 401(k), etc. and your social security tax is reduced to the employee rate (as opposed to self-employed).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Ebaines points are accurate; I have nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working out of State and Tax Issues [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a IT consultant working for a company (i.e. I'm just a cog in the Man's machine, not an independent :D ) I'm currently on a long term project in another state. I generally fly in on Monday and fly out on Thursday and work from home on Friday. I get a per diem for food and reimbursed...

OPT to H1b and changes in state where I was working [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all: I have a problem filling taxes. I was on Opt until Feb 2nd week and then transferred to H1b. In the mean time I was working in California till March and then moved over to NY. Here are the questions I have: 1) Should I be getting two W2s based on OPT and H1b. 2) Should there...

State Tax for NJ resident working in NY city [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey. Last summer, I worked in NY city for 10 weeks. My employer withheld NY taxes. How do I file my state tax return? Should I have to do one each for NJ and NY? Confusius

H1 consultant working in other state than company [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1 visa and I work for a company which is in Texas. Presently I am in California, working for company's client. My payroll is run by company in Texas and they apply Texas State Tax(No sate tax) and Federal Tax on my pay check. Do I need to pay California Income tax ?

Working out of state [ 2 Answers ]

I am a resident of Georgia. I am employeed by an airlines in Orlando FL. I commute each week to work. Can I deduct hotel, meals and mileage expenses on my taxes and if so how much?

View more questions Search